1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kimntep, Sep 17, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I Got Thru The Shell And There's Blood Under The Membrane..not A Lot, But It's There And I Did Not Break The Membrane, But It Seems Dry. Have Wrapped It In Damp Paper Towel And Chick Is Moving. What Now??

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:First question is what do you mean that you got thru the shell? Were you trying to help it? If so why? How long has it been Pipping?
    Put it back in the incubator and hope for the best. The chick has to absorb the yolk and stop the bleeding.
    Keep the humidity high and leave it alone. How many other eggs are with it if any?

Good Luck

3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Yes, I was trying to help. Mama is taking care of 6 hatchlings and has not gotten back on 4 other eggs all day, so I candled to determine viability to find just the one. The humidity and temp is high and she immediately rolled the egg under her when I took it back out. Hoping for the best. She was absolutely disinterested all day, so I felt that the chick had the best chance if I could get her back on it. I don't have an incubator and my homemade attempt, I'm afraid, would not have let it survive the night.
    Quote:First question is what do you mean that you got thru the shell? Were you trying to help it? If so why? How long has it been Pipping?
    Put it back in the incubator and hope for the best. The chick has to absorb the yolk and stop the bleeding.
    Keep the humidity high and leave it alone. How many other eggs are with it if any?

Good Luck

4. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    This happen to one of my hens. She didnt care. All i did was get a shoe box put a towel or something underneath. Then put my desk lamp on top. if not a flashlight or some other light source and put it in a warm corner. I had 2 chicks and only 1 survived. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by