Help Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maxxsmommy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Production Red Pullet, 18 weeks, not sure about the weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.She is usually the first girl to come running to see me, but she has been laying down pretty much all day, not even coming over for treats
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?Since this morning
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.None
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.Nothing that i know of
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.She has drank some water today but wont eat much
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?nothing yet, not sure whats wrong with her
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?can not afford a vet right now so i will be the one treating her
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in useNormal coop, with Straw for bedding
    Its not like her to be like this, she is not acting normal at all, Her comb and face went kinda pale also..

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible she might be eggbound especially if she hasnt started laying yet. I've had this happen with Red Stars early on. They can start to lay at about 18 weeks. I recommend that you soak her in a container half filled with warm water and massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging her underside will help the egg move along. You can also wear a plastic glove and put olive oil on a finger and insert it into her vent... stretching and lubing inside her, making it easier for her to lay the egg. Hopefully this will help if in fact she's eggbound.

3. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    oh my goodness, i just went out and checked on her and she laid her first egg!!!!!! it didnt have a shell at all, just a thick membrane and yolk but yay this is the start of eggs to come i hope thanks for your advise!!!!!!!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh I am glad you had a good outcome!! The poor dear just had a hard time with her first egg! I hope she will be up and about tomorrow.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:LOL...just as I figured. She'll feel much better now and return to normal. Dont worry, give it a little time for her to get her egg laying machinery in proper working order. She'll be laying normal eggs for you shortly and will get larger as time goes by.

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so glad that she is alright....and a first egg wow!!! She should be feeling alot better now.....after she gave you a heart attack....LOL Hope you are O.K.

7. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you guys for your concern and advise! I was about to have a heart attack! Poor thing was miserable, Cant believe she gave me an egg though! Pretty happy right now, like i had my first grand child ha ha jk but seriously Thank you all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by