1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zyklonbetty, Oct 26, 2011.

1. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I am at work so can not post a picture. This is the first time I've seen this happen and don't know if it is normal or what to do. The outer shell is completely broken but it's like she's stuck inside the inner membrane. She has not poked any holes in it. Is this something she will hatch from? What should I do. It has been 8 hrs since I noticed her shell cracked an it is now about 60% broken off but there is a completely enclosed bag she is stuck in. Please help:)

2. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I have a picture and can email it to anyone but my phone will not let me update it.

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm don't know much about hatching but I hope your baby makes it [​IMG]

4. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It sounds like the chick is shrink wrapped due to low humidity. If is has only been 8 hours and you can see that it is breathing then give it some time.

There are many different opinions on "helping". You will find people on here who very stongly believe either way - do help or don't help.

I will help if it has been a while and the chick is still trying.

You need a wet cloth and lots of patience.
    You take the egg out moisten it by just holding it in the wet cloth, or a fine mist spray if it is VERY dryed out. Then very slowly and in small pieces begin peeling the membrane away.

If you see blood at any point leaking from the membrane - stop. This means the chick has not fully absorbed all that it needs to and it is too early to interviene.

I will only take off enough so that it can move freely on it's own.

I know it is aweful to feel like you are on your own and you do not know what to do. If you have more questions I would be happy to help. All that I can offer is my honest opinion based on my experiences. take them for what they are worth. [​IMG]

5. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Thank you so much. Feel in this case I may help. I feel like it's my fault I had a few days I was sick and completely forgot to check the humidity. I feel like she would make it if I hadn't been sick. I may help her when I get home. I just feel like it's my fault. Thank you so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by