Help Please :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bgbg001, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bgbg001

bgbg001 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi
    I am new to the board and I am using my IPhone, so I have only limited viewing at the moment untill I can get to my Computer.

I have a Hen that is sitting on Eggs and they only have 6 to 7 days left before they are due to hatch, I seen her out in the yard today feeding etc and then she went back in, about 6 or 7 hours later I went and checked for eggs, and found her sitting in the wrong nest box " the one next to hers " the eggs were cold and I put her back on her eggs.

Do you think the eggs will be dead ? Temperature is around 23 degrees celcius outside.

Thank you

2. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I would put her back on them and then wait a day or so and candle them to check personally.
    Or just put em under her and see if any hatch. They could still be alive!
    I have a broody now with 10 to 12 days left to go. Her 6th day on the nest she did the same thing and its been around 40 degrees here for highs and was down to 28 when I found her on wrong nest. Eggs were like ice cubes but I put her back on em and tonight a few days later I candled em and the 3 that were developed had movment!

I had set
    2 fresh fertile eggs
    1 from different hen unknown fertility
    2 eggs from fridge over a week

I removed the 2 with no movment and they had never developed at all. 1 fridge egg had bullseye and was fertile just to old other 1 wasn't even fertile.

1 of the 2 fridge eggs is developing nicely so it is possible to hatch older fridge eggs [​IMG] I wasnt sure because the egg could be as old as 2-3 weeks but since we just put the eggs in the carton at random I have no way of knowing how old for sure. It is at leased a week as she hadn't layed for a week.

There is hope for your eggs! Wish you luck!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    just let her set the 7 more days , you should get a few to hatch, some may have died. remember tom watch when she get off to check to may sure she found the right nest.

4. bgbg001

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi
    Thanks for the replys [​IMG]

I hope they are ok, especialy this close to hatching, This hen is the Boss Hen, but she seems to be the stupidest as well, she does appear to be very persistent though at sitting so she hopefully will be a good mother.

All the eggs are
    Rooster Lavender Araucana
    2 X Rhoad Island Red Hen
    2 X Plymouth Rock Hen
    2 X Black Araucanas Hen
    2 X Isa Brown Hen
    Not sure what that will produce Lol

The Broody hen is a Silver Laced Wyandotte

Thanks
    Bill

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Let see how good I'M at guessing........you will get better than 60% hatch from these eggs.......how many is she setting on.

6. bgbg001

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi Deerman

She is sitting on 8 eggs, I'll let you know what happens [​IMG]

7. bgbg001

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi
    I ended up with 50% hatch rate 4 out of 8 eggs, the other 4 were fertile but died in the shell

I ended up with 3 Black Araucanas " Black Chicks " and 1 Lavender Auracana X Isa Brown " Silver Chick ", there so cute [​IMG])

cheers
    Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by