help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken007, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Chicken007

Chicken007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    ok so i had two chicks due for today one hatched yesturday i left it in the incubator then it was getting stuck so i moved it into the brooder. this chicks looks as if it has a brown/red wire or blood vessel which i assume to be the umbilical cord? then the other chick hatched today.So i moved it with the other one this looks as if one of it feet are swollen or maybe this is just because it is tired. when i moved them together the older one was harming the younger one i left it for a bit then it turned the younger chick over and was on its back! i seperated them (they both have food and water.) My question what should i do about the weekest chick with regards to its foot and fighting. And also what should i do about both of their umbilical cords

2. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    Hello, Pictures of the foot you are talking about would be helpful. the umbilical cords will be there until they dry up and fall off. Whatever you do, do NOT pull them off. They will bleed to death. As for the picking, is there some way you can put something between them, but they can still be under the light?

3. Chicken007

Chicken007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    yess i have seperated them they both have food and water. How/when shall i introduce them back to each other? the foot well it seems swollen or could he just be exhausted perhaps??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by