1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmagnetyup, Nov 22, 2012.

1. duckmagnetyup

duckmagnetyup Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    So i ran out of duckling pellets the other day so i decided to make them spaghetti, i kind of fed them alot, is that bad ?!?!?!? and is feeding one whole apple cut into little pieces okay for them? or is that alot?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It's not necessarily bad but it should not be used as a stable diet or for very long. It does not have much nutrition for them.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I missed how many ducklings you are talking about. One apple for three ducklings? Six ducklings? Good that you are joining us here, welcome!

Ducklings do need some protein. Until you get them back on a regular balanced diet, a few ideas for you to consider: When feeding something other than crumbles or pellets, they are better off having had a little small grit (like coarse sand or chick grit) so that they can digest the food better.

They need some protein. A little ground up dry cat kibble would provide some. Many ducks like greens, like shredded lettuce, or cabbage. Mine liked thawed peas, too. Moistened cracked wheat, and rolled oats are fine.

There is a stickie about treats for ducks and ducklings for more ideas.

4. duckmagnetyup

Jul 28, 2012
    for 2 ducklings, im now just feeding them koi fish food, in stick form, but i also have another question, one of my ducklings keeps on pecking itself near its tail and its like a red line right there, like a red bald line spot if that makes sense....is it mites???? or is it just him pecking himself

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is an oil gland near the base of the tail and it is normal for ducklings to squeeze that gland a little and then preen to spread the oil around. Do you have photo's you can upload?

6. Onewiththeducks

Onewiththeducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Alden,NY
    I would love too see some pics too.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why are you feeding them koi fish food instead of a balanced diet?If feeding anything other than chick starter or duck starter they need grit, thats how they chew their food since they don't have teeth

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    +1

Not feeding a stable diet will cause for various health issues down the line.

9. duckmagnetyup

Jul 28, 2012
    crude protein 33%
    crude fat 2.5%
    crude fiber 4.5%
    moisture 10%
    calcium 0.5% (min) 1.5% (max)
    phosphorus 0.9%
    ascorbic acid 200mg/kg
    (Vitamin C)

is that okay?!? if not i will head right down to feed store tomorrow morning

10. duckmagnetyup

Jul 28, 2012
    will this affect their lifespan ? ...im worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by