help please...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by east jordan, Mar 11, 2013.

1. east jordan

east jordan New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    I have a hen that had a prolapsed vent last summer. I treated her with bentodine and Prep H and she recovered and has been laying every since. However, she has also had a leaking vent every since. She is otherwise healthy and active. She is a little on the thin side, but very active and eats and lays. Her backside is of course, near featherless and somewhat messy. The liquid is largely clear or somewhat milky white but no significant odor with it. Any ideas?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've treated hens with this problem. The main thing is keep the vent area clean to avoid infection and the possibility of maggots. You'll need to clean the area a few times a week at least. Use a light solution of vinegar/water to clean the area around the vent. You can use the mixture in a spray bottle and spray lightly around the vent and wipe it clean in a dabbing motion. You'll want to wear surgical gloves.

If the feathers are caked around the vent, you may have to give the hen a good soak in a tub of water to remove the caked matter. Just make sure you dry the bird off well after to avoid chilling.

If the area is inflamed or sore around the vent, and the urates/feces smells strong, you can use Miconazole (Monistat) in and around the vent. You can also run apple cider vinegar ( I use an ounce per gallon of water) for a couple days a week. The old method of running copper sulfate in the water doesn't seem to work so well. If you want to keep the flies away during the warmer months, a light spray of Martin's Horse and Stable spray on the backside feathers keeps them away.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could be a yeast infection. I have one right now with that, I think. Going to try Nystatin.

[​IMG]

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Nystatin is good but hard to get a hold of. Some pigeon supply places carry it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think I got mine on ebay?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    For those interested, do a search for Medistatin, lots of places to get it.

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    East Jordon, be aware that Nystatin (Medistatin) is given orally mixed in feed or water. Since there is no data on how long the withdrawal period is for eggs, you may not want to eat eggs from this bird for a couple weeks after treatment. The cleaning process around the vent will still be necessary with Miconazole to eliminate/control bacterial/fungal infection. Here's some very good info on Vent Gleet:
    http://www.birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/vent_gleet.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by