Help!!!!! Please!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bathchickengirl, Jul 28, 2013.

1. bathchickengirl

bathchickengirl In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    I have 5 girls- 15 weeks old. None are laying yet. They were perfect ladies and a week ago before we left for a week beach vacation. My dad took over the feeding while we were gone. This morning I let them out into their pen and they are all of a sudden very LOUD! One in particular- she is a Cochin. I have always noticed that contrary to reviews I have read about them that she has been rather bossy- almost a bully to the other girls. Now she is making this awful noise! I think that my neighbors are going to freak out!!! It is not an ack or a buk sound!!! Here is link to video!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    That looks like a rooster, but a closer picture would help.

3. BigECarter

BigECarter Songster

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    In the video, he/she is crowing. I have read that if there are no roosters, dominate hens will sometimes crow.

4. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Songster

Feb 14, 2013
    That is a rooster.

5. bathchickengirl

Jul 28, 2013
    Yep- I think that I agree. I totally got a rooster. I am so bummed. I am a backyard chicken farmer and have no experience doing this. I went to Meyer Hatchery because I trusted them and their good reputation. What do I do now?? Can I take it back? Will they exchange it for another female pullet? I am scared to put it on Craigslist for fear that it will land in the wrong hands. For now it is residing in my attached garage (not a good solution as he can still be heard outside). Advice?

6. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Songster

Feb 14, 2013
    If you have a white cochin hen you can sell the rooster with it as a pair to help insure someone wants it for a pet and not food.
    Is it bantam or large fowl?

7. bathchickengirl

Jul 28, 2013
    Large fowl and no girl : (. Just a lone rooster.

8. I giggled a little when you jumped but that is exactly what I said when he tried to crow. Can you have roos where you live?

9. bathchickengirl

Jul 28, 2013
    I know! I was completely floored!!! We didn't get in until midnight last night and at 6am this is what I woke to find!

10. nfitzgeraldRN

nfitzgeraldRN In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Roggen Colorado
    Ohh, its so cute! Hes crowing! Maybe not cute for you since you it sounds like that may be bad news. Nothing wrong she is just a he... Sorry![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: