1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help Please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AQHA-NRHA1998, Aug 1, 2014.

1. AQHA-NRHA1998

AQHA-NRHA1998 In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    I purchased two silkies yesterday and they don't seem to be using the waterer or feeder. Any tips?

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

With new birds one often has to dip their beak in the water, to show them where and what it is. Sprinkle some feed on the floor where they are, birds instinctavly peck and they should find it. The feed needs to be small enough for the birds to eat, not pellets.

Set up on clean paper towels, throw the feed down on it, not heavy just enough that they see it. Hope this helps you get going.

RJ

3. AQHA-NRHA1998

Jul 31, 2014
    These birds are at least 2 months old and they do know how to use feeders and waterers. Should I still dip their beaks? I've been sprinkling scratch grains on the ground for them and they are eating that right up. But it doesn't look like they're drinking

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Well, since they are not chicks, and if you have water in the 'pen' for them they should find it ok. Moving to a new place is unsetting for birds, they seem to like the same, constant routine. When it is changed it can take a day or two to get the new layout down, and to feel safe. Don't stress them if you can help it, just let them be. They will adjust.

Your first post looked like a baby chick question,

RJ

5. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    Give them a few days to adjust

6. AQHA-NRHA1998

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you guys!

7. AQHA-NRHA1998

Jul 31, 2014
    Both my silkies are eating and drinking!

8. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    Good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: