Help please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jade1, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    I have had 4 chicks hatch between last Wednesday and Friday. The remaining egg was due to be removed today as I had given up all hope of it hatching. They are bantams and Wednesday was day 18, today is day 24! The hen had left the nest. But when I went to take it out, the chick was half out! It was cold so I warmed it up in my hands while sorting a heat box. It is now in the heat box at 37 degrees C and is fluffy and chirping. It still had some shell attached by a vein which I have left to come off by itself. It is standing up ok, I have surrounded it with a cloth so it can't move too much until the shell is completely separate. I was a bit worried about it but think it was just tired from hatch and cold as no hen sitting on it. Any advice appreciated... re. temperature, is 37 ok? Whether to put it with the other chicks if it survives? Or do I take another chick from the mother to keep in the heat box with it? Can I give it anything to help it along, if so what? Or just chick crumb and water? It seems to be a little fighter and I'd like to give it the best chance.

2. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    37 C (98.4 F) is about right for a newly hatched chick. The vein may be the umbilical cord and it should separate by itself. You could try putting it under the hen with the other chicks after dark. Keep a good eye out in the morning though to make sure she accepted it. Alternately you could take another of the chicks to keep the first one company in the brooder and feed chick starter. He will need water also. So far it sounds like your doing well. Good luck with the little one :)

1 person likes this.
  4. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Thank you! The vein/attached shell has now gone. I was getting worried that it seemed to struggle to walk and was on its hocks- possible hock issues. But have just seen it stand and walk a couple of times so am more hopeful now! It seems to have stood and walked more slowly than normal but hopefully is just tired and no problem. I'll keep it at this temperature then, thanks. Unsure about putting it with the others as they look so big in comparison! I'll see how strong it looks tomorrow and maybe try it.

5. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Any more advice from anyone today? It is walking now although wobbly sometimes and can run. It is pecking at food. It has chick crumb, is it worth trying boiled egg? I haven't seen it drink on its own (water with vitamins) but I've dipped its beak a few times and it may have drunk when I'm not around. It sleeps a lot but is only just over 24 hours since hatch.

6. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Well I think I'm talking to myself! But chick is still with us. Found some useful advice on here yesterday when I noticed pasty butt starting. I ground the chick crumb up, gave live natural yoghurt and cleaned it up lots of times yesterday and put some oil on. Looking much better today. Can anyone advise what temperature to use now it is 4 days? I'm finding it hard to tell as there are no others for it to huddle with if it is cold.

7. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have no advice for you as I have not yet had a successful hatch. My broody is on a nest of 6 eggs (after starting out with 11) and I have 8 days to go - fingers crossed!

I just wanted to say congrats on your hatch, and I'm so glad your little one is doing well.

I have no idea what to give him/her other than water and the chick crumb (that's what mine will get if any hatch) but it would be nice if he/she had a little friend. Chickens are social creatures and I think he/she will really come along if you give him/her a friend. Could you take one from the nest and pop them in together?

Hope the little one keeps improving :)

Krista

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If the chick is strong and eating and drinking I'd give it to the hen to raise with the rest of them. What you can try is to take the chick out to her, put it down and see how she responds. My broodies so far have taken to the new chicks without hassle and the chicks quickly learned to listen to her. If she's not keen, slip the little one under her while she's sleepy, like very early in the morning, before she gets up. Then keep an eye on them for awhile when she gets up to see if the little one is o.k. with her. In the meantime, lower the brooder temperature to around 90*F/32*C at the hottest part of the brooder.

For pasty butt problems I found adding a few drops of ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drink water for a few days works very well as preventative. I haven't seen a single case since I've started using ACV and I've raised many chicks since.

9. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Thank you both! Good luck with your hatch Krista, not long now!
    I'm going to try putting the chick in with the hen tomorrow as it has continued to improve and doesn't look so tiny any more! Thanks for your tip about the ACV, sumi, I will try that next time! Eating and drinking well and no more pasty butt.

10. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Update for those that gave me advice :) the chick continued to improve and I tried it with the hen yesterday- success! She accepted it and the other chicks were fine with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by