1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SCchiXs911, Apr 1, 2015.

1. SCchiXs911

SCchiXs911 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Ok I have a Pekin duck who is not doing so well. Her knees are swollen and full of blood.
    She is pigeon toed too. We have been doing the shoes, brewers yeast, and band aids across her legs. Nothing is working. How long could it take to fix her leg problems? The blood in the knee, I really do not like. What can I do at this point?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SCchiXs911

SCchiXs911 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Does any one know what is causing this in my duck?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I do not know but would encourage a vet visit. could she have fallen or gotten injured somehow. sounds like your doing all the right things as far as the brewers yeast. Maybe a slipped tendon ? I wish I could help , but Pigeon toe is pretty common in Pekins but the swelling and blood is very worrisome.

Might see something on here that would help.. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. XxBLUExX

XxBLUExX Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    That looks broken to me? Just the angle?
    I know it looks very painful.
    Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in.

5. SCchiXs911

SCchiXs911 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks everyone...I have to find a Vet I think.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please let us know what the vet says.

7. SCchiXs911

SCchiXs911 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Well I have to pass on sad news...

I had to make the call to put the little down today. The blood build up was because it was not following into her feet. The knee joint had rigor mortis set in and the feet were ice cold. She was not grow either. I could not see a duck with out its flappers. Sad day......but it was the right call. On the bright side we still have three health playful ducks with four more soon to be added. Thanks everyone for you help.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes it's sad when we have to make that decision, but you made the right one. [​IMG]

Please share pics of your babies we'd love to see them.. and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by