Help! please1

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BornInSpain, May 10, 2011.

1. BornInSpain

BornInSpain Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    I have som black cooper Marans hatching, I went to see the progress and I saw a new one had just hatched, I also noticed it was bleeding quite a bit, it's eyes closed, his belly looks too big, and almost transparent. I am a nurse so I did what it came natural, cleaned the bleeding area, probably the umbilical cord, put antibiotic cream on it, took a little box, with a clean paper towel, and pace the chick on it and back inside the incubator. It's breathing is shallow, but regular, no more bleeding noted. I hope it can make it! this is my first hatch. 6 out of 8 hatched, from an eBay auction, I am very pleased, I just hope the last one makes it [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    [​IMG] Good luck to you!!! I don't have experience with that happening, but sounds scary!!

3. BornInSpain

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    Thanks!

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Usually you would just stop the bleeding by putting a bit of flour on the spot. All you can do after that is let it rest in the incubator or brooder alone and recover. Most of the time they live unless there are other issues going on internally. It may need to rest longer than the other chicks before it is ready to get up and run around. You can offer a few drops of sugar water or gatoraid/pedialyte once it is standing to give a boost and rehydrate.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. BornInSpain

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    It made it through the night, and it is trying to stand up, her eyes are open. I think it is going to make it! [​IMG]. Thank you for you support.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by