HELP Pleeeease!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poupoule, Oct 20, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    My hen has been sitting nicely on 11 eggs (3 hers and some from other hens that we introduced 2 days later she started sitting). Three lovely cute chicks hatched on monday (they were due today!), but today she left the nest with the other 8 eggs. [​IMG] There should only be 2 more days to go before hatching. What should I do? I really want those eggs to hatch !!

I've read I can use an electric saucepan on the lower setting with a damp towel as an incubator. Does anybody know which temperature the eggs need? Does anyone has try this before?

Please help me! [​IMG]

2. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Maybe u could move her and her chicks to a box with the eggs in them...big enough to put food and water but small enough where she won't have a choice but to sit on them.....?????

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is never a good idea to have a staggered hatch under a hen. It is her job to leave the nest with her babies to teach them the world. I would run out and get yourself an incubator at TSC or your feed store.

4. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    but do you think my suggestion would work??....so she doesn't have to spend all that $$ on an incubator??

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    She may sit on the eggs overnight, but during the day, she is going to try to leave the nest again. I'm not sure how you could force her to sit on them. It is their instinct to abandon the nest when they think the hatch is done.

6. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    It wouldn't hurt to try.

7. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Dont some people take the chicks away from the hen...and put them in a brooder inside..so the hen continues sittin on the eggs.?

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I did this and it worked for me. I didn't give her eggs for a staggering hatch, but she is the biggest egg thief I have. If it looks like an egg, it's hers. I just didn't realize she had done it. So, I took the chicks, brought them in and she continued to set on the rest of the eggs.

9. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    I think Nicola is correct about putting the first hatchers in a brooder until the rest appear.

As for putting the rest of the eggs in an electric saucepan w/ a damp towel, good luck. The pans that I've seen usually start at 250 degrees F. The incubator needs to be at around 100 degrees w/ 80% humidity. That's going to be tough to duplicate w/ that saucepan.

I vote for taking away the chicks & restricting the broody hen to the nest first.

Good luck! [​IMG]

10. KittyKelly

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:I agree with this too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by