Help pls!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kayleigh09, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Hatching

Apr 26, 2019
    Hi I’m Kayleigh I’m new here
    I have 6 ducks
    2 mallards
    2 khakis
    2 pekins
    My pekins are very big and this is my first time having pekins they both tend to just stumble over on their own feet and I have one atm that he’s breathing with his mouth open a lot rather he’s sitting down or standing up he has been sneezing and just not seeming the same at all and the others are completely fine. So I’m not sure if he’s sick or what’s going on I usually have the heating lamp on but they get so hot now easily since they are about 5-6, 6-7 weeks now. I been keeping a really good eye on him and my other pekin but idk what to do or what is going on...

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    If they're 6-7 weeks, you should probably turn that lamp off completely. What does your water setup look like? Ducks should be able to dunk their heads at least to above their nostrils (nares) in water. It's best if they can submerge their entire heads. This helps them clean out their noses for proper breathing.

3. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Definitely turn that lamp off. Is it super cold where you live?

Also what are you feeding them? All ducks grow fast, but Pekins are the fastest of them all. They tend to need more vitamins/minerals than most poultry feeds have to support their fast growth.

https://www.qcsupply.com/549992-bvs-starter-pak.html#reviews

This is the best vitamin pack I can find and is the one recommended by Metzer farms. You can also buy it from Metzers under their supplement section.

Hope your duckling is ok. :thumbsup

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.
  4. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Hatching

Apr 26, 2019
    I have only turned on lamp about once only cuz they had a bath ( splash around was a lil cold but not too too cold) and They can full on dunk their heads I have both a big water feeder and a dish that’s deep enough for them to pop their heads in and walk around in too.

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.
  5. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Hatching

Apr 26, 2019
    I had the lamp on once sometimes it tends to get too cold at night.. and okay I’ll look at that..

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Go to TSC and get the liquid B complex in the cattle dept give 1 ml daily over a treat. That way you know the ones having leg issues are getting full dose. It’s the fastest way and easiest way of getting them up and going also water therapy if they can’t swim outside put warm water in your tub and let them swim around and play best exercise to strengthen legs. All your duckling can benefit from the b complex but the ones having leg issues need 1 ml for each duckling a day what their body doesn’t use they will pee out. EA0C066F-4CB3-44EB-A9D9-A915D93C7778.jpeg

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Get them moved outside and provide water deep enough to dunk heads. A shelter to get out of the wind.

8. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Hatching

Apr 26, 2019
    That’s ok to use on ducks? Never heard of it but I’ll try anything rn. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: