help plz deworming! !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by negrita, Nov 19, 2015.

1. negrita

negrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    i have some albendazol pills 200mg per pill for humans can i use them on my chickens ??? or am i crazy? ? i have wazine im going to deworm for the first time i don't know how to go about it they are2-3 months all but i see some are not growing much even though they are eating they free range and are exposed to adult chickens.

if i can use the pills? how should i give it.to them diluted in their water? ?how much dosage? ?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could use them. Dose for a 5 pound chicken is about 45mg (9mg per pound), but it's probably okay to give a 5 pound chicken twice that (18mg per pound). Can you weigh them?.

-Kathy

3. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    ok so.im superbad at math my chickens i.dont have a scale i could weigh.myself with them on a regural scale and subtract the weight but about the dosage how would i know they are white solid pills like i mean like on a syringe how.much and like do i have to redose ?

4. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    i mean how do i know how many grams im giving them? i could cut them in 2 parts that would make 100 mg per part

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you go buy a kitchen scale? At 8-12 weeks old they probably weigh between 1 and 2 pounds, so I don't want to tell you to give the wrong amount. You could try using your scale while you hold the and see if you get consistent results. Then let me know how much they weigh and I'll do the math for you.

-Kathy

6. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    so im thinking in diluting half a pill in 8oz water and giving 4 oz. to each chicken that would mean i only have medication for 8 chickens since i only have 2 200 mg pills but my friend can bring me some more this weekend from Mexico each package of 2 pills is like 3 dolars

7. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    well thank u so much i will try when my hubby gets home so he can help me ill make him weigh himself with the chickens he is super light i weight way more

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, and that would be fine for a 5 pound hen, but it's too much for a 1 or 2 pound pullet. You other choice would be to crush up one pill (200mg) and add 10ml of water. Problem with that is I don't know how well it will dissolve. If it dissolves well, you would then give 0.045 ml per pound.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just though of something... call your pharmacy and ask them if they will sell you 10-20 ml of compounding suspension syrup.

-Kathy

10. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    what's that? to mix the pills?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by