Help plz...Young pullet with rotting leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickster112, Dec 30, 2014.

1. chickster112

chickster112 New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi there. Im new to this group and would appreciate some advice. I have a young hen which i rescued frm an industrial estate. I found her with a large rotten smelling lump on her leg. Ive had her 4 months nw..and have cleaned the lump several times and covered with natural antiseptic cream and left her to her own devices. The infection has moved up her leg..is black in colour and frm what uve read on here seems to be gangrene? I took her to a vet last wk and he was no help...said to put her down. She has always been a gd eater..and drinks alot of water..She sleeps on a bed of straw in a box in my shed near the house. She is alert..but doesnt move around much..sunbathes each day then hops back into her box in the afternoon. I need to remove the rotting leg and after reading other posts on this site, think it would be easiest if i used a band and placed it above the rotten area of the leg. I dont want to cut it off as i have to go away for work again..so wont be able to nurse her leg..sorry im using my ph to write this out..and i live in NZ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    If you will not be there to tend to her, how is she supposed to survive whether you band the leg, or not? In my opinion, it would be better to rehome her with someone who is retired or not in the workforce, or let the vet put her down. It is just a matter of time before that infection spreads and kills her by making her sick and causing her to suffer. Sometimes the kindest thing is the hardest thing...:(

1 person likes this.
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. Sometimes we don't do animals any favors at all by trying to preserve life at all costs. Trying to band this leg could easily turn into a very bad experience for her, especially if you are not going to be there to keep an eye on it and care for the situation as needed. If you can't find a vet willing to do a nice, clean amputation then I'd put her down, which is what I probably would do anyway rather then put her through all that.

4. chickster112

chickster112 New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    Thks very much for the advice. Spose il have to put her down...i got a quote frm one vet to amputate-$400..and $40 to euthanase..Thanks again :)

5. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    You gave her a period of happiness in a short life of trauma...sometimes it is all we can do and not everyone will bother to even try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by