Help plz!

KennyP

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Joshua,Texas
My wife and I need some comfort. I hate to beat this to death and seem so ignorant about these chicks but my momma hen pooped on the pipping egg overnight and we went outside this morning and the egg was completely quite! Last night it was making alot of noise. I cleaned the this morning and still nothing. She had covered up the place where the chick had started the pipping. Can anyone tell me if she suffercated the baby? Idk how to spell that but I think yall get it. Anyway, plz be honest. Is their any chance the chick was just sleeping? Thanks AGAIN folks.
2 worried parents

I would take it out and wipe it clear. She may have smothered him. But I'd give him a few more hours to see if he makes it out on his own.

It does not sound good I'm afraid, does she only have the one egg? and is this her first hatch? the chick may have died hence her loss of interest, i.e pooping and covering up the pip, keep it with her a while longer but if she leaves the nest examine the egg, if you can see no movement and hear no noise when the egg is held up to your ear then Im afraid there is not much chance of the chick being alive.

I did wipe the poop away this morning. There was no movement afterwards. She is sitting on 7other eggs. I guess I was just hoping the baby took a rest and was sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom