Help plz

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GD91, Jan 11, 2014.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    We had the incubator cut out & all the other eggs died apart from one.

This egg has pipped by itself. There was 2 in lockdown, but the other chick has died without even internally pipping.

But I can see a clear crossbeak on this chicks beak & its behaving uncomfortably (gaping, opening & shutting its beak & making licking impressions with its tongue). I can't see the rest of this chick although its made a massive pip by itself. Its a dutch bantam. Its been pipped since last night & is making lots of noise etc.

The first & last chick I had with a crossbeak was helped out before we realized it had no eye developed on one side & an eye with barely any sight in the other, I culled it when it became clear it was not going to thrive. It couldn't even eat. Once its 2 days was up to begin eating & drinking by itself, I culled it.

I've got fears for this chick [​IMG]/but if it hatches by itself, will it have a good chance?

Its a strong chick.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    She couldn't get out so I assisted, prepared to cull later if necessary.

I thought it was the crossbeak stopping her. Then I found this enormous baby wedged in the tiny egg sideways with its feet over its head & its neck crooked [​IMG]

I've left her in the egg but with her head sticking out. Its what I do & when they are ready they wriggle out on their own. I shone the torch down the back of the egg & saw no veins or yolk, but I've never took the chance of it still being connected. I prefer the chick to remove itself.

She's making a lapping motion with her tongue, is this the tongue drying out due to the crossbeak?
    Because I wet it a little with the cottonwool bud by mistake & she stopped lapping for a little...

3. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Ok, there was something fishy going on in that incubator. [​IMG]

I removed the chick (on instinct) because she was getting worse, struggling to breath & limp despite the fact that all the vents were wide open.

Upon removal from the incubator 1 1/2 hours ago (still in her egg) she immediately perked up after a minute. I removed the umbilical cord & dried her with a hairdrier. Now she's perky & tucked up under my dressing gown cheeping every 5 minutes & toddling about. Shes ready for the brooder [​IMG]

Can I do anything for the crossbeak?

She's an hour old & the beaks only very slightly misaligned. Can I fix it so It grows straight? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I had a cross beak that lived a perfectly normal life.she laid eggs and was happy.what I did to help her was starting from a baby I would trim her beak monthly this stopped it from over growing. I would make her mash. To keep weight on her. She could eat seed but mash was easier for her. She lived happily for years until I lost her to her second case of wry neck.so don't loose hope.crossbeak with a little help can live a perfectly normal life.[​IMG]

5. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by