1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help plzzz?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amirfarmer, Oct 19, 2013.

1. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    i want to know that as the hatching day comes near the air sac inside egg becomes LARGER or SMALLER...... actullay today was the 20 day of my broody hen and when i candled one egg i saw very small air sac ......is that normal???

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The air sac becomes larger. If you saw only a tiny air sac and all else was dark then the chick is fully developed. I'd not worry, it might just be pushing up on it or internally piped as it's hatch time.

3. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    when it will hatch

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    When will it hatch? It's hard to pinpoint. The 21st day is norm but from two days early to two days late is within reason even under a broody.

If your chicks are internally piping into the air sac, they get that far and rest as it's the space that provides air, they should be piping and hatching within the next day. Right on time. I'd leave them alone but bet if you listen close you can hear random peeping in the egg under the hen. It's louder and constant when they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by