Help....Poison Ivy on my face

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tobin123, Aug 11, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Okay I have once again POISON IVY on my right side of my face.I know how I got it,from holding the cat.This morning I noticed that I have some on the inside of my right hand.My face is soooo itchy.I have been putting canphofinique(sp) and rubbing alcohol then I tried bleach(grandmas idea) help.........I am right handed and I sleep on my right side.ANy suggestions,thanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    calamine lotion works for me

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Face poison ivy can be quite bad, go to your dr and get stariods and cream, my son came down with it yesterday looks much better the the large patch on his leg he had last month.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    An antihistamine like Benadryl will help the itching at night. Other than that, calamine lotion and no scratching allowed.

Time to get rid of the poison ivy. Get somebody else to do it!
    I burn mine out with a propane torch- but I also wear a respirator and full haz-mat protection. I dispose of everything when done.

Oh yeah, my deepest sympathies - I blister horribly from it. A bath with baking soda helps during the day.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Don't use alcohol on poison ivy. The skin absorbs it so fast & the poison from the poison ivy gets drawn in with it. That's what granny taught me, & if anybody knows, it's granny. (granny, R.I.P.)

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I don't know if this will work but; I've been making a paste of DE and water and dabbing it on my fire ant bites. So far, it has worked where NOTHING else has. They stop itching and don't make a sore spot. I would try doing this on a very small patch on your hand first. If it woks, go for it but don't get it in your eyes. I think it works by drying up and taking the poison with it. I just rinse mine off with water after a couple of hours...

7. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    NEW PRODUCT FOR POISON IVY

I got brand name Tecnu

medicated poison ivy scrub

There were 3 or 4 different brand names on the shelve at Wallgreens

cleans the skin of the oils, soothes burning and stops itching

If you don't remove the oils it will continue to spread.

Works great for me, I get into it every year.

However, I don't know about the face, near eyes!!!!!

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Make sure all the clothes that might have come into contact with the oils are washed well before you re-wear them. Also your sheets and pillow cases.

9. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Anything very viscous or slippery. Baby oil, vasoline, peanut butter, mud. Other than that you just gotta cope. (I don't get the stuff at all [​IMG] which means it's my job to clean it out around my house [​IMG] )

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by