Help- Polish hen getting beat up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hamilton, Nov 5, 2010.

1. hamilton

hamilton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I have 2 barred rocks, 2 black sexlinks and 1 polish. They are 7-8 months old. The polish is very docile, and keeps to herself most of the time (as she lost her polish partner a couple months back to a fox or hawk)... The polish is the loner of the bunch. Occassionally the other hens will pick at her and she will panic and go to the other side of the pen. But to date there has been no injury, just more bullying by the birds.

Their turnout area is about 8 feet x 16 feet.

Today when I got home, the poor polish had a ton of feathers missing from her head and there was dried blood all on her head. And it STINKS!!! I am only assuming that the other birds have been beating her up today while I was at work......She appears ok, is eating and drinking fine.....But I am worried about if she is going to continue to get picked at now....I am planning on separating her from the rest tomorrow. Do I need to keep her separated forever??? Do I need to treat her head/scalp?? Any other advice please......1st time chicken owner here.

Thank you-
    Shannon
    New Hampshire

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sadly enough Polish or other crested breeds are frequently picked upon by the other chickens and do far better with similar crested birds. They will keep picking on her. Do you have a second pen that you could keep her in along with more Polish or silky bantams?

3. hamilton

hamilton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I can definitely make arrangements to separate her, but now I need to find her a buddy.....Hmmm....I did have 2 silikes that I gave to my parents, as they are roosters and were toooooo noisy and active for my place and neighborhood. They got my 2 silkies and I took their 2 sexlinks.....

Thanks!!
    Shannon

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Might put a rubber band in her feathers on the head to tie them up so the others dont peck at the head. I do that for mine when the big boys attack. Or even trim her feathers if they are in her face. That way she can see and run.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by