HELP!! Poop on chicken feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ellie Bush, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Ellie Bush

Ellie Bush In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2019
    This morning I noticed Sadie my littlest buff Orpington had hardened poop on her bottom feathers. I tried a wet rag and rubbing to off but it is hard stuff! I don't know how long she has had it but her poops look totally normal. I was out of town for 2 weeks so it could have happened then. My biggest concern right now is getting it off of her so she is more comfortable. If any of you have an idea on how to get it off please let me know!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just try pulling it off with your fingers or trimming some feathers. A shallow warm soapy bath in a plastic dish pan would be good to clean her off, and then trim any excess fluff. Be on the lookout for any maggots if you have a lot of flies around now. They will lay eggs on the poop, and it can cause flystrike, a deadly condition. Some hens have a bigger bottom that catches droppings. Also if they have any runny droppings, that can build up and create a mass.

3. CJLR

CJLR Chirping

Jun 9, 2019
    ×2

EggWalrus likes this.
  4. Ellie Bush

Ellie Bush In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2019
    How do you get rid of the flys and maggots?

EggWalrus likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Did you find maggots on her bottom or are you just asking a general question?
    If there are maggots, you want to get them off asap. You can soak the area in warm soapy water, an epsom salts bath, etc., to help flush them. Usually there is a wound, so you want to pick all the maggots out of the wound, flushing as you go. Then treat the wound with triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.
    This is just general care - if there are maggots, please post some photos of the damage.
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: