Help poor chick

barngem

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Northern Michigan
I posted this on raising chicks too

I went to the barn today let chicks out into large pen
went back an hour later and my one hen 2mo old has a red bloody spot each side of her face Right below her ears. She did not have it an hour before. Is there something wrong with her or did she get injured or picked at by the other 3 chicks. They are all the same age and have been together since I got them from the hachery. I did catch one other picking at her but I am going to assume it was because of the blood. what should I do? Clean it and I keep hearing about blue kote I have some stuff like that for my horses is that the same stuff? I am wondering if she did that on the small holes in the little feeder thing I have for them. It is metal and has smaller holes than the plastic one i have.
They are Black Sumatras
The white is what is left of her baby feathers. My pics are a little blurry.

34773_chick_face_medium.jpg

34773_chick_face_001_medium.jpg

Last edited:
She could have been picked, but most of the time they go for wings, top of the head, or tail feathers. I'm guessing she got cut by something. You can use blue knote ( it is the same thing, it is for most large animals). -IT WILL NOT STOP THE OTHERS FROM PICKING AT IT!- I used it on our chickens, but at that time we didn't have another pen or coop. We sprayed her tail feather heads and butt. We ended up having to separate her. even though it is supposed to taste bad, chickens don't seem to notice. I would definetely separate her from them for the time being, and spray her with blue knote. Chickens will attack anything with the smell or color of blood, and if they taste it once they may become canibals, it happens more often than you think.

what breeds do you have?... just curious

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom