help! poor condition rescue chicken...

jgf2015

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Hey, Yesterday we ended up rescuing 20 free range hens that were destined to slaughter some of which are in a bad way. Just want a bit of advice with one that's not doing great she's really weak very pale her combs slumped across where her eye should be (seems to have lost one :( ), very bald and very skinny! We've separated her from the others as she seemed to give up and the others just kept squishing her even though they have a full stable on the night. We've kept her in the house in an indoor rabbit cage to keep her warm and so the others don't make her worse. She just started drinking her water with some cider vinegar in it. Not sure what else to try as I'm new to all this. Thanks in advance attached a photo of her when we released them yesterday afternoon (photos do not do any justicw to the poor state shes in) if anyonw could advicw me the best way to get her back to health that would be great
x

welcome-byc.gif

How pitiful!

I'm thinking most of what she needs is a good quality, high protein feed and some time. The feather loss could be from molting, since the birds were being sent to slaughter I'm guessing they're in the 18 month age range and this is prime time for a molt. It could also be feather picking from the other birds, or mites. have you checked them over for bugs, her in particular? Dusting for mites might not be a bad idea.

Internal parasites is another consideration. Since I don't worm my birds as a matter of routine, I'll let someone else chime in on if it's better to worm now to help her regain condition, or wait and not stress her weakened system with a chemical now. You might consider getting a fecal to a vet for a test, just to check.

To get her gut moving....This recipe is for an entire day or can be refridgerated for one extra day. If she won't eat on her own, you may need to make little pea sized balls, roll it between your fingers like a tube and drop it down her throat. She will soon get the idea.

2 Tbs Plain yogurt...
mix it with 1/2 c of her layer pellets,
To that add either 1/8 cup applesauce or finely chopped tomatoes,
1 tsp honey or molasses
one finely chopped hard boiled egg
this will make a mash.
You can add 1/4 tsp dry electrolite powder if you have it.

Nutridrench is great to add to her water if you can get it.

Edited to add: Donrae is right about worming. I'd wait until you see she is processing food and then worm with Wazine in her water.

Edited again...Not Sulmet...use Wazine to worm her. follow the directions on the label.

Last edited:
Hey, Yesterday we ended up rescuing 20 free range hens that were destined to slaughter some of which are in a bad way. Just want a bit of advice with one that's not doing great she's really weak very pale her combs slumped across where her eye should be (seems to have lost one
sad.png
), very bald and very skinny! We've separated her from the others as she seemed to give up and the others just kept squishing her even though they have a full stable on the night. We've kept her in the house in an indoor rabbit cage to keep her warm and so the others don't make her worse. She just started drinking her water with some cider vinegar in it. Not sure what else to try as I'm new to all this. Thanks in advance attached a photo of her when we released them yesterday afternoon (photos do not do any justicw to the poor state shes in) if anyonw could advicw me the best way to get her back to health that would be greatx
Check her for mites and lice and get her inside where it's warm (80-85 degrees is ideal), ASAP! Is she drinking and eating? If not, let me know if you want to learn how to tube feed.... What does her poop look like?

-Kathy

welcome-byc.gif

How pitiful!

I'm thinking most of what she needs is a good quality, high protein feed and some time. The feather loss could be from molting, since the birds were being sent to slaughter I'm guessing they're in the 18 month age range and this is prime time for a molt. It could also be feather picking from the other birds, or mites. have you checked them over for bugs, her in particular? Dusting for mites might not be a bad idea.

Internal parasites is another consideration. Since I don't worm my birds as a matter of routine, I'll let someone else chime in on if it's better to worm now to help her regain condition, or wait and not stress her weakened system with a chemical now. You might consider getting a fecal to a vet for a test, just to check.
I would worm her with Safeguard, but only after I got her properly hydrated, stabilized and fed. Even though Safeguard can cause feather damage during molt, I would still worm her, but only after getting her stabilized.

-Kathy

I would worm her with Safeguard, but only after I got her properly hydrated, stabilized and fed. Even though Safeguard can cause feather damage during molt, I would still worm her, but only after getting her stabilized.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I was hoping you'd chime in. I know with horses in poor condition you don't necessarily want to worm them right away, but wasn't sure how that carried over to chickens
hmm.png
. Risk vs benefit of a parasite load vs stress from the wormer and all that.

Hey there, try giving her mashed up hard-boiled egg. It's full of protein and will help her bounce back. Also try liquid vitamins in the water and a quality chicken feed. Be careful not to overload her with food, otherwise her system may not be able to cope with such a change. Slow and steady is the way to go.
smile.png

It's so nice to see some humane people giving these poor hens a second lease on life. Good luck with the rest of your flock.

Thankyou all for your feedback will certainly be trying what's been said. She's 17 months old.we are currently keeping her in the house so it's warm for her she's started to eat and drink. She's picked up alot this morning so let her out for half hour to have a leg stretch to try build her up slightly (should I be doing this? Just feel bad her been cooped up 24/7 when the others have compete freedom around or small holding)

Checked her for mites and bugs she doesn't seem to have any. Does look like the others have been pulling her feathers out from been cramped and her been to so weak.

What food would you recommend at the minute there on dobson and Horell as I know it's a good make from having horses but have no idea where it stands with chickens lol!

Really appreciate all the help and advice as we really did chuck ourselves in the deep end and was a lastminute unplanned rescue mission! Hoping to go back and rescue another 20 as the farmers give them all another week. So another 8000 needing homes if anyone's in the east yorkshire area :)

Update

As you can see from the picture below she has improved loads already, started getting her colour back and seems to be a very friendly loving girly despite her past
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom