Help ! Poorly chicken, maybe conjunctivitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sophieejones, Sep 10, 2016.

1. sophieejones

sophieejones New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi all,

I took my Silkie to the vet a few weeks ago thinking that she had conjunctivitis, the vet told me that she had a cold and put her on antibiotics. She finished her antibiotics about two weeks ago and all seemed fine.

Just out of chance I've gone and picked her up and her right eye is completely closed up and stuck together, does anyone know what this could be? I'm struggling to get a vets appointment so any help/advice is much appreciated !

Many thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Did you see an avian vet?
    Chickens do not catch colds....Does she cough or sneeze? Have discharge out her beak?
    Google her symptoms or try and locate a poultry vet to tell your symptoms to..
    My poor Chickens all have the LT Virus because I introduced new pullets.

I called every livestock vet in my area which the directed me to the proper vet...

Best of luck...Not fun when something gets into your flock...Hope your Bird is an isolated issue.

3. sophieejones

sophieejones New Egg

Aug 22, 2016

I went to a general Vet practice & I was told that the vet was trained in seeing chickens... However if they cannot get colds then maybe I am going to the wrong place !

Originally she did have a fair bit of discharge coming out of her nose and all of her feathers on the top of her head were stuck to her nostrils.

I've not noticed any coughing or sneezing & I have checked all other chickens and they're fine, I'm starting to worry as I can't get anyone to see her until Thursday !

I managed to clear her eye up a tiny bit of earlier although it barely opened and when it did her eye looked foggy and thick with mucus.

Thank you again for your advise, I'm currently trying to find a proper vet that can deal with this !

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, not colds like us....Usually it is disease....Not many are easy to treat...As I have been told by University Vets....It Sucks...

Well, best of luck...Mine just broke out again yesterday with LT again yesterday....Fingers crossed I dont lose one...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by