HELP!! possable broken leg but unsure!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xchairity_casex, Oct 15, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I need some help yesterday i cleaned all the birds cages everyone was fine one pair in perticualr was also fine when i put them back into the cage i added new "sand" in there sand box and they were happy this morning when i went to go feed them i noticed the female was just sitting down more or less and i didnt think to much of it but when i went down i was keeping an eye on her as she was still jsut sitting around then i noticed her not walking well so i decided to check her foot becuase i have long hair and two times now 2 of my birds got one of my hairs wrapped around its foot that had to be snipped off. well when i picked her up to check her foot her leg was limp and curled up when i touched ehr good leg she oulls it back like normal when i touch her hurt leg se doesnt move it. i dont know what could have happend other hten last night seh got spooked flew up and landed on it wrong and it broke? i added some pictures. i checked the leg and foot over for any wounds but found none
    [​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

What foot? Left or right?[​IMG]

3. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    you can see the one htats curled up like that its limp just hangs there though its curled its just limp shes a button quail btw.
    my poor girl i lowerd her water bottle and sprinkled food next to ehr on the ground so she has an easier time

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I suspect it's a dislocation or a very bad sprain. I would keep her calm and contact a vet asap.

5. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    yes i think it is a hip dislocation i put a blanket over the cage to keep them from spooking at all they normally dont but jsut to be 100 eprcent sure they dont.
    unfortuantly the vets is not open tomorrow ill have to wait untill monday morning first thing deff my poor poor girl she is still attempting to scoot around and even has climbed into the sand box so hopefully she isnt in terrable amount of pain [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by