Help! Possible Cocci. How and What do you force feed? She won't eat...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluck shmucks, Aug 6, 2011.

1. cluck shmucks

cluck shmucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    ETA: New Question! How do I force feed her, more specifically, what do I feed (wet cat food and corn on the cob seem interesting to her, but she won't go ahead and eat), and How much? I have some syringes, and have been waiting, hoping she would start eating since she's been on Tribrissen since yesterday. But no such luck, she looks as if intersted, but won't actually eat ANYTHING. She is still drinking, but I'm afraid it's not enough, and I know she needs food. She is so skinny, I am giving her a little bit of wet cat food now, but I will be sitting with her when i get home from work for a while, and giving her a MEAL if she still won't eat. So, What do I give her that will nourish her, and how do I know how much? Thanks for any info!

I forgot to add that from what I'm reading, if this is cocci, since bloody droppings appear on day 4, it would appear that today is day 6. From what I can find, it seems the death toll is highest on day 5? So I am hopeful that if she has made it this long, she is beginning the recovery phase and will pull through. I just want her to EAT! We will find out tomorrow the results of the fecal...

Original Post: My 2 month old Brahma pullet "Salsa" started acting funny yesterday. She has always been very friendly, flies up to sit on my shoulder (or head, lol!) every time I come to see them, very talkative, etc. Yesterday I introduced them to their new coop, and when I first went to get them out of the room they had been in, I noticed she was lethargic and fluffed up. I picked her up and set her on my arm and she seemed slightly weak/unable to balance as well (just slightly, so I thought maybe I was imagining it). I took note, thinking perhaps it was the late-in-the day time, and that I was disrupting their getting sleepy. When I put them all in the coop, I noticed my little roo acting just like her, but not as noticable.

This morning she is worse, fluffed up and looking ill, she was on her perch in the coop, the lowest one just a few inches off the ground--whereas she is usually up high on the edge of the tub they were in, or in the window sill (yes, we have had chickens amok in the basement, they grow faster than we build!) She had a couple of droppings underneath her, one of which was fresh: runny and a couple bubbles, with blood in a few places. Definite blood, not normal. I am trying to figure out how to upload a photo from my phone, I will get it up asap.

The little Roo is also looking more like Salsa did yesterday, he is more puffed up and sleepy looking, and quiet. They have been outside to play several times, so could have been exposed to anything I suppose. I am so worried! I am new to chickens, and have no idea what to do. Can I buy something at the feed store, or am I going to have to take them to the vet? I am so scared they are going to get so bad and die, it would kill me! Please, anybody with experience have any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I use Corid for Cocci. I got it at the feedstore. Sulmet will work, too, although I forget the dosages.

3. cluck shmucks

Jun 29, 2011
    Does this sound like coccidia? I have no idea, it was just my first guess. I don't want to treat them for something they don't have... I just don't know what else it could be, I don't know anything about chickens!

4. cluck shmucks

Jun 29, 2011
    And... I assume my dogs can get it too? Or is it species specific? Crud... I know my dogs eat the poop when I don't catch them in time... [​IMG]

5. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm newer to chickens but I have had a run in with Cocci so I will just try to help you as much as I can. If you don't already have Corid, go buy some at TSC. I purchased the powder water soluble kind. I am going to search for the ratio. I don't believe that dogs or humans can get Cocci, I believe it is host specific. Alright, I'll try to find that ratio.

Okay, the ratio is 2 teaspoons Corid to 1 gallon water for the first day. Then 1 teaspoon Corid to 1 gallon water for the next 4 days. You can also give them yogurt or powdered milk in their food. Hope they get better. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. cluck shmucks

Jun 29, 2011
    So I decided to take her to the vet because between checking on them this morning, and checking on them after my original post, she had gone to pooping what looked like straight blood. The vet gave me SMZ (Tribrissen) to give them, and sent out a fecal sample. She said if it's coccidia this will take care of it, but that it could be something like salmonella or??? We'll know Monday. She said it looked pretty bad, and in addition they have lost weight (well, I could tell that Salsa has just within the last couple of days, Roo isn't any different but she said he is skinny--they free-feed, so I don't know why unless they've been really sick and not showing it), she noted that "if anybody dies, it would be a good idea to send the body for necropsy". BOOO!!! I am so worried! Salsa-girl is my favorite one, the most friendly, and then my little Roo who is just about as friendly. The rest of them, none of which are showing symptoms, range from one who will sit on your arm if you chase and grab, to the rest having no interest in being touched or held whatsoever. Salsa and Roo are leeches, on you the minute you open the door. As bad as it seems to choose favorites, WHY THEM!!?? I'm praying they recover from whatever it is...

7. cluck shmucks

Jun 29, 2011
    Oh, I forgot... Peaches, do I mix yogurt into their crumbles, or do I feed it in a seperate dish? I got some wet cat food too, I read somewhere that was good for sick chickies. I got the highest protein/fat I could find--which doesn't seem very high to me: 12% protein, 9% fat. I wanted to feed them something that would help them gain some weight back... I don't know what else there would be...

8. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    If you even SUSPECT Cocci...RUN, do not walk, RUN to MFA, Feedstore, Hatchery...ANYWHERE you can get CORID. If you have a small flock and a good MFA, you'll be able to get it for about $13.50, 16 oz liquid. It comes in powder, too, but as a personal preference, I chose the liquid. The alternative is heartbreaking.

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:It depends on your chickens. If they are used to treats being given, the yogurt is fine on its own. My pullets were unhandled with no treats ever given, so I mixed the yogurt with their mash and they loved it. Now my other chickens, whom I've raised from chicks, are used to me bringing various treats in different containters, so they're used to it. The yogurt helps their intestines recover from the Cocci, you can also mixed powdered milk in their crumbles as well to get the same effect. Good luck. [​IMG]

I had very, very sick pullets and the Corid pulled them all through. Hope yours can make it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by