Help!!! Possible fertility problem

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by L&Schickens, Oct 25, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I recently was given some bantam Rhode Island Reds from a nice enough old guy. Now I think I know why.
    When I got them the rooster was covered with mites. They were bad, real bad. So I treated him and he has them no more. Anyway, the little hens kept on laying, so I decided to put some in the incubator and hatch some chicks. The eggs are at 12 days and I just threw out all of them. They were not fertile. I know the rooster is doing the deed and all. I am wondering if the mites may have reduced his fertility, or if he is just a sterile bird? Should I keep him till spring and see if his fertility rate changes? He is a year old, according to the old man. [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is my experience that roosters can be less fertile at this time of the year.

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I also have some Serama X Sebright eggs and some Ameracana eggs in the incubator that I set the same time. They are all fertile. So I think it is the RIR roo, not the time of year in this case.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If he was heavily infected with lice, you have to consider that too.

I would give him some time to recover and try again. Also try giving him some table scraps with meat it may help.

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    He gets scraps and let out too.
    I never thought a rooster could be sterile. I hope it is just a weird thing and he has some good swimmers.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    L&Schickens :

He gets scraps and let out too.
    I never thought a rooster could be sterile. I hope it is just a weird thing and he has some good swimmers.

If he had bugs he may be stressed from that and he may also just be starting or just finished molting, that can also affect them, I know cause my Cochin is molting and no eggs are fertile right now.

Give him time to recover, I bet he is fine​

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I talked to the prevous owner of these birds and he was suprised the eggs had no development. He said they are a very fertile breed. He had no other real comment about it though. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I did not mention the mite infestation they had. Maybe I should have. He is one old man with over 200 birds, I am sure he gets behind on keeping up with the health of his flock. [​IMG]

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    L&Schickens :

I talked to the prevous owner of these birds and he was suprised the eggs had no development. He said they are a very fertile breed. He had no other real comment about it though. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I did not mention the mite infestation they had. Maybe I should have. He is one old man with over 200 birds, I am sure he gets behind on keeping up with the health of his flock. [​IMG]

As for being old with that many chickens is no excuse. I am old and have more than twice that many. With not a mite amoung them. Usless he is ill he is just lazy. Every week 300 next boxes are cleaned. Every month 25 coops are picked up and chips replaced. Twice a year all the coops are deep cleaned.

Before anyone takes any chickens home with them, they should look at the living conditions of the birds. Check each bird carefully. Then keep them away from your main flock for some time. All the while watching them. If within 4 weeks (some say longer) they look healthy and fit, you can add them to your flock.​

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    He works at the feed store and that is where I met him. I have never been to his house. He is 82. I don't think he is lazy.

I agree that any birds I sell get dusted for bugs and are healthy before they leave here. That is just the way I do things, but when I bring home a bird, I do not expect the old owner to have done the same, so I always check for bugs and worm any new birds as well as keep them seperated from the rest of the flock for a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by