help possible mareks ? please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessaw1981, Sep 5, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I have a roo that I posted about last week and said it was hard for him to walk. well I thought it was the little sore on this back toe I wrapped it put him back to the others he seemed a little better. 2 days later my girls go outside he is laying on his side and can not stand up ? moved him by his self he sits all the time and can barley get to water and food in the coop I don't think he could for that day he was starved. I really need to know what to do could this be mareks ? this chicken was about 4 mo. old or so please help me he was with my main flock and we all love them so much. Along with them is my little girls prize turkey. the chicken has no other symtoms please help.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    so sorry. Mareks in my flock looked like 1 leg out in front and it was the right leg. Also a little drunk almost. Maybe some vitimans? Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I am just wondering I'd thus is what us sounds like. I am at a still point and have no idea what to do.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Please read - Marek's Disease - by Moody Chicken - as I write this - it is on the next page - I hope it helps you - I found this article very helpful and Moody Chicken gives some very good advice

Suzie

5. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    yes thanks for the advice I read that yesterday. I am just at a stand still and don't know what to do because I don't know if I am over reacting or not. It happened all of a sudden and one day he was fine the next he could not walk. But its in both legs. I have never seen a chicken sit like that before and when he stands up he wobbles. He is so beautiful I love him to death. he was my favorite roo. But if it could be that then I need to cull. I mean this could kill my whole flock.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I do feel for you! I had to euthanase one last year, I think she had Marek's and it was so awful to see her unable to walk - I put her in the Strawberry patch each day with lots of maize and her chicken food - she ate most of the strawberry's and when she stopped drinking was when I made the decision to end her life - it was hard, but as she couldn't stand she was messing herself and was covered in flies despite my washing her - there comes a time when despite all of our efforts to save our chickens it is in their best interests to let them go - it is brave but necessary. You will know as and when it is harder to see them suffering than to keep them alive it is our duty to help them along the way - hopefully it will not happen to you and your chicken!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

7. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry for your bird, it sounds terrible. I hope it is not Mareks. I am curious, was he vaccinated for Mareks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by