Help, possible Mereks!

ApiaryandAviary

Songster
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
On Thursday early evening, a friend asked me to watch over her Roo while she is gone on vacation bc English Orpington Large Fowl Roo was just at Vet for what appeared to be an injury from weeks before.

Vet prescribed Prednisolone. She brought Roo to me from the Vets. She carried beautiful large English Orpington Roo to my empty coop I use for chicks and demonstrated he had NO feeling in his feet or legs. And she said his mate another beautiful English Orpington stopped laying eggs when he started limping. Been a couple of weeks maybe. She put him in my cleaned chick coop with food and water. I did not touch him till next day, Friday to give meds and found he was lousy with lice. How did the Vet miss that? How did she miss that? This was not an over night infestation!

I should have inspected him before she left because I would have said NO way take him back home with you. I do not want to give lice and disease to my own. This Roo has more wrong than a limp from getting caught in his fence.

I just went through an episode this early Spring of clearing up my own English Orpingtons that picked up mess from bringing home Guineas from a swap, my son bought Guineas diseased &/with pests to my own clean poultry. Still, can not get over the fact she came directly to my place from the Vet with a chicken with undiagnosed lice and unknown what is wrong with him besides his leg, other than the fact she says she found him with his leg caught in chicken wire a couple of weeks earlier? That and the Vet prescribing a med that does not even state what is wrong with chicken. She said she found him with his foot caught in chicken wire some time back, maybe 2 or more weeks, I believe her. But what caused him to get his foot caught is not clarified. Worse is they did not see how lousy with lice he was when I inspected him the next morning(Friday) to give him meds. Let me be clear on this, this is no over night case of lice, this Roo was lousy with them.

The Roo drank water Thursday night but did not eat. Friday morning we moved him from inside the coop hutch to coop yard and he stayed in basically the same position and never drank or ate all day and into Friday evening. Late Friday I treated him for his lice. He is too passive, appears to have given up. He has no feeling in his legs nor feet as she told Me and showed me. I too, thought it was nerve damage and understood why Vet sent Roo home BUT by Friday night I was online checking for what else it could be because My alarms went off inside my head and said, self...this Chicken has more wrong with him than the nerve damage in his leg from getting caught in wire. This Roo fits description of Mereks and the fact she said when he started limping, his mate stopped laying eggs. She has not laid for a while now. That kept coming back at me and reading over and over again one of Mereks symptoms is the lack of eggs in hens and pullets as well as limping. Oh my! Please help, advice needed.

Lice is easily treated and though it stinks not true concern. A lot of people don't have the same experience or comfort handling roosters or chickens and not knowing what you are looking at or for can be difficult. Who knows WHY the vet didn't catch it. :barnie How did you treat for lice? Who is watching your friends other birds?

Prednisolone
If that is similar to predinizone (sp) then it is a steroid. Steroids are often used to help animals heal from injury. Not knowing what happened does mean, that roo could have been trying to get away from other birds picking on it do to it's condition... and the being stuck a side effect and not the cause of the issue. :hmm
For future reference... never take in an ill bird as it risks your entire flock. Even though it may be more effort to go to their house, if you really wanna help, that might be a better choice for you and your flock. I know we wanna help, sometimes the answer is no I'm sorry I can't do that. Marek's stinks but isn't a death sentence to entire flocks, at least doesn't have to be. Vaccinated birds are NOT welcome to my property as they are perfectly capable of carrying the virus without displaying symptoms since the vaccine essentially stops the tumors from developing that cause the paralysis and is usually the only way people ever discover the have Marek's.

How old is this dear roo? Heck, the blood sucking parasite could be part of what is causing the issue. Maybe even internal parasite load. Nutrient deficit can cause MANY issues, including paralysis. Do you know what she feeds including treats and supplements? If she has wormed. She did seek vet help, which is awesome... they don't always get it right though. Do you know if they were an avian vet? Have you seen this "limping"?

If the bird passes... refrigerate the body. Sending for necropsy is a good way to *usually* get solid answers. Here are some link to help achieve that is free or cheap in many states to back yard owners as a way of protecting our national food supply chain...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

I might even do it myself if the friend wouldn't because I would want to know what my birds were exposed to. I have never checked for "feeling" in the legs of a Marek's bird... but tumors press on the nerves and that is what causes the paralysis... I would imagine it could be the same thing as deadening it... definitely much like nerve damage in my opinion... but here to learn as much as to share.

Does sound like he might be suffering depression now as well. It's hard being lonely and unable to be yourself. :(

Wish I could be more help... best Marek's info I have seen...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I'm sure your friend truly believes it is an injury... I did too my first time around.

I hope that boy recovers and that you get some answers. I would make him a chicken sling to get some weight off his legs and let them stretch some...
upload_2018-5-28_8-35-14.jpeg
images
Miss%2BPetal%2Bin%2Ba%2Bchicken%2Bsling%2B24%2BNovember%2B2016.jpg
I would also offer him some scrambled egg fro easy to digest and very palatable source of good nutrients. Most Marek's birds I believe do have huge appetites... but not all will the same, and again this ling later maybe failure to thrive/ depression setting in... I would keep keep with with his hen... IF I thought it were an injury and she wasn't relentlessly bullying him in his weakened state.

With my current experience... anyone suspected of Marek's (or limping) get separated right away to stop excess virus shedding and minimizing exposure. Usually culled the same day if they somehow can't walk by the time I discover them.

Good luck! :fl

Lice is easily treated and though it stinks not true concern. A lot of people don't have the same experience or comfort handling roosters or chickens and not knowing what you are looking at or for can be difficult. Who knows WHY the vet didn't catch it. :barnie How did you treat for lice? Who is watching your friends other birds?

If that is similar to predinizone (sp) then it is a steroid. Steroids are often used to help animals heal from injury. Not knowing what happened does mean, that roo could have been trying to get away from other birds picking on it do to it's condition... and the being stuck a side effect and not the cause of the issue. :hmm
For future reference... never take in an ill bird as it risks your entire flock. Even though it may be more effort to go to their house, if you really wanna help, that might be a better choice for you and your flock. I know we wanna help, sometimes the answer is no I'm sorry I can't do that. Marek's stinks but isn't a death sentence to entire flocks, at least doesn't have to be. Vaccinated birds are NOT welcome to my property as they are perfectly capable of carrying the virus without displaying symptoms since the vaccine essentially stops the tumors from developing that cause the paralysis and is usually the only way people ever discover the have Marek's.

How old is this dear roo? Heck, the blood sucking parasite could be part of what is causing the issue. Maybe even internal parasite load. Nutrient deficit can cause MANY issues, including paralysis. Do you know what she feeds including treats and supplements? If she has wormed. She did seek vet help, which is awesome... they don't always get it right though. Do you know if they were an avian vet? Have you seen this "limping"?

If the bird passes... refrigerate the body. Sending for necropsy is a good way to *usually* get solid answers. Here are some link to help achieve that is free or cheap in many states to back yard owners as a way of protecting our national food supply chain...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

I might even do it myself if the friend wouldn't because I would want to know what my birds were exposed to. I have never checked for "feeling" in the legs of a Marek's bird... but tumors press on the nerves and that is what causes the paralysis... I would imagine it could be the same thing as deadening it... definitely much like nerve damage in my opinion... but here to learn as much as to share.

Does sound like he might be suffering depression now as well. It's hard being lonely and unable to be yourself. :(

Wish I could be more help... best Marek's info I have seen...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I'm sure your friend truly believes it is an injury... I did too my first time around.

I hope that boy recovers and that you get some answers. I would make him a chicken sling to get some weight off his legs and let them stretch some...
View attachment 1407911
images
Miss%2BPetal%2Bin%2Ba%2Bchicken%2Bsling%2B24%2BNovember%2B2016.jpg
I would also offer him some scrambled egg fro easy to digest and very palatable source of good nutrients. Most Marek's birds I believe do have huge appetites... but not all will the same, and again this ling later maybe failure to thrive/ depression setting in... I would keep keep with with his hen... IF I thought it were an injury and she wasn't relentlessly bullying him in his weakened state.

With my current experience... anyone suspected of Marek's (or limping) get separated right away to stop excess virus shedding and minimizing exposure. Usually culled the same day if they somehow can't walk by the time I discover them.

Good luck! :fl

Thank you.
He has all the signs of Mereks.
She left her other chickens in the care of her hubby and she knew I understand chicken meds so she wanted me to care for him. I was more than willing to help her out as she is a friend. But I find there are now more questions than what I know as answers. You make valid points. This Roo appears to have given up and can not walk and has just flopped from one side to another since being here on Thursday evening. I have to pick him up to medicate with Vet prescribed Prednisolone. I also had to dust the Roo on Friday late. I have successfully used on my own chickens for lice because son got Guineas for $90. at a swap and we found they had lice and worms when we got them home to put in a run. We had recently cleaned that mess all up as son let those Guineas out with my clean chickens and those Guineas spread the joy. It cost me $150. To treat those Guineas over two weeks and on the second month when I was certain all was clean, we sold them for $60. Lesson learned!

Another lesson learned. Don’t take in any friend’s injured chicken to care for while they are gone. Go to their place to care for them. The sick, I was told was from his foot caught in chicken wire and he was injured which at am sure she believes. No reason to think otherwise. She is a nice lady. However I am Left wondering what caused Roo to get his foot caught in the wire? I appreciate your thoughts, was he trying to keep from being pecked because the others realized he had something wrong with him is still reverberating in my head. I think your on to something there. This chicken’s problems were not born overnight.

Back
Top Bottom