1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Possible prolapsed vent/egg binding??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motherofducks, Sep 10, 2016.

1. motherofducks

motherofducks New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Yesterday evening I noticed my buff orphington Betty (about 9-10 months old) had a small red protrusion sticking out of her vent and her bum feathers were caked in poo. She was acting totally normal, wasnt even hunching her butt over just pecking around eating some vegetation.
    I brought her inside last night, soaked her in a warm bath with epsom salt, and gently pushed the prolapse back in as it advised in a previous post I saw on here. She started producing quite a lot of brown poos so I was happy to see that but the prolapse came out again. When pushing it back in, I felt the tip of an egg so I wondered if she was egg bound. I rotated her through another bath and let her rest inside covered overnight.
    This morning her prolapse is back and no egg. She is sortve hunching ove today. We did another warm bath and i tried to give her liquid calcium which was suggested in a post, but she has no interest. She is nibbling her oyster shells and definitely eating her food fine, producing plenty of poop and seems almost normal. Now shes eating and cleaning off her damp bath feathers in the hospital enclosure I made her.

What do I do at this point? Does it sound like she might have a bound egg? Should I keep giving baths and monitoring her? Should I keep pushing her prolapse back in? Any advice would be much appreciated! She is my first chicken and I'm so nervous :( Ive been by her side all day worrying.

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH

3. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Oh!! AND

WELCOME TO BYC!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Is she still prolapsed? If so try some preparation H to reduce swelling and gently reinsert the prolapse. While you are in there have another feel for that egg. Keep her separated and on a clean old towel or paper towels. If you do feel an egg try crushed tums or the liquid calcium again, some scrambled eggs if she will eat them and give her another warm bath. Keep her in it 20 minutes if you can do long as she remains calm. Let us know how she's doing.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A couple of months ago my duck Sechs was eggbound. We gave her extra calcium, hormones to keep her from laying, and an anti-inflammatory as well as antibiotic, since her vent discharge looked iffy. In about 5 or 6 days, she passed the membrane and thin shell. She has been fine since. I kept her on the anti-inflammatory for about ten days.

6. motherofducks

motherofducks New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Thank you for the welcome!

Update on Betty: I took her out of the "hospital" cage to clean it since she has been pooping a lot. I left her in the bathroom/mudroom breifly while I took it outside to wash it. Since her tail was up and she looked totally normal, other than the prolapse. Then we did the warm bath and pushed the prolapse back in, while I was in there, no egg to be felt. What does this mean? I dont think she laid it, I did not see one anywhere (slight possibility she hid it somewhere in the bathroom when she was out but not likely). Could it have moved and still be inside her? Is this a good sign?

7. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm...are you sure you felt an egg the first time? I don't believe it could move back up but I may be wrong about that. I would focus on the prolapse and getting that to stay in. Keep her in a dark area to try to stop her egg laying temporarily. Did you get the prep H on her? It will really help with swelling. Let us know.

8. motherofducks

motherofducks New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    I was so sure at the time it was an egg! Now I feel like I'm going crazy! Lol
    Anyways I got the prep H and applied it once after her bath, the following morning her vent was slightly prolapsed but not as bad. Did the bath and prep H again and now over 24 hours later we are good! No vent prolapse, we will keep her in the dark bathroom/hospital for a few more days to let her heal before she rejoins the flock!

9. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Nicely done! Glad she's doing better and btw chickens make me think I'm crazy in a daily basis so all good ;)

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Great news!! :fl hope she keeps improving

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by