Help!!! Possible Wry neck

Palinor

Songster
Sep 10, 2017
Columbia, CA
My ameracauna is a little over a month old. This morning I found her splayed out by the water dish. When I picked her up she sounded in distress and then just laid in my hand with her neck drooping. Recently put water started coming out of the tap in the kitchen brown and was tested, it’s 100 times over the normal limit for iron. The babies are drinking other water now but they did have the iron water before we knew what was wrong.
I got her some vitamin and electrolyte water and have mixed some
Vitamin E and selenium in with her food.
I can’t get her to eat or drink. Do I need to open her beak and drop water in???
Please help, her name is Sequoia

Attachments

• 57FC16C1-5B40-44D1-877E-A3F8EABB2AE5.jpeg
    57FC16C1-5B40-44D1-877E-A3F8EABB2AE5.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 226F760D-2F3F-4C14-9FEE-942D1B75F705.jpeg
    226F760D-2F3F-4C14-9FEE-942D1B75F705.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 2
It is hard to say whether the iron in the water caused her problem, or if she is sick from something like coccidiosis or dehydration. Iron is corrosive to internal organs, such as the crop, and can cause dehydration, and liver failure. Apparently activated charcoal will not bind to iron, so it may not be helpful in treatment. I would try to get her drinking often with the electrolyte water. What do her droppings look like? Will she eat any chick crumbles, wet feed, or cooked egg?

Is her neck limp or stuck down? Can she move her legs and wings or stand? Are any other chicks affected? If you suspect coccidiosis, Corid from the feed store cattle medicines is the treatment. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

It is hard to say whether the iron in the water caused her problem, or if she is sick from something like coccidiosis or dehydration. Iron is corrosive to internal organs, such as the crop, and can cause dehydration, and liver failure. Apparently activated charcoal will not bind to iron, so it may not be helpful in treatment. I would try to get her drinking often with the electrolyte water. What do her droppings look like? Will she eat any chick crumbles, wet feed, or cooked egg?

Is her neck limp or stuck down? Can she move her legs and wings or stand? Are any other chicks affected? If you suspect coccidiosis, Corid from the feed store cattle medicines is the treatment. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Her neck just drops down, seems limp. She has spazzy moments where she’ll flap her wings but for the most part she just stays still. I want to give her water with electrolytes and vitamins but when I dip her beak in it she doesn’t try and drink. How would I know if it’s coccidiosis?

She doesn’t sound right even for coccidiosis. She sounds dehydrated and very sick. Has she been in a brooder or outside? Can you try feeding some fluids dripping from a QTip or a dropper?

Signs of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, standing hunched or puffed up, and not eating or drinking much. That is the most common illness in chicks her age. Could she have been injured or pecked on the head?

She doesn’t sound right even for coccidiosis. She sounds dehydrated and very sick. Has she been in a brooder or outside? Can you try feeding some fluids dripping from a QTip or a dropper?

Signs of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, standing hunched or puffed up, and not eating or drinking much. That is the most common illness in chicks her age. Could she have been injured or pecked on the head?
She’s been in wood box with shavings in our garage. We have three other chicks and they seem fine. She doesn’t seem injured except that she had a small red spot on her beak. I can try the q tip method and see if that’s works

She did lick a little of the water that I put on her beak with the q tip. I tried dipping her beak to see if she’d drink but she wouldn’t. When I opened the crate I have her in she fluttered about a bit which is more activity than I’ve seen her do, she was also sitting up which she wasn’t doing earlier. I’m so worried about her though and we don’t have a proper avian vet close.

Back
Top Bottom