1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Possum in coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gaeamama, Jan 23, 2009.

1. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    I just found a possum in the chicken coop... and I don't really know what to do. The girls are outside in their run, the possum is inside. It hid behind a window frame that's propped up on the ground to wall, when it saw me. It's a small possum, most likely the same one I found on my porch a few days ago. Can a small possum actually kill a chicken?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

It can, it will, and it will keep coming back til they are all dead. Go shoot it or smack in the head with a shovel. Noe, do not delay, if you can't kill it put a garbage can over it with a cinder block on top til somebody gets there that can.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yes, they technically can and will if hungry enough and large enough. I have caught a few possums sleeping with my hens and have relocated them. Although, if you relocate them to close, they come back!!

Personally, I think we have to secure our pens and learn to live with predators rather than kill them all. It our job to protect our flock, not the possums job to stay away. Just relocate it, but a box over it, scoop it up and move it to a reserve far away, done and everyone is happy and no one is dead.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Thanks! Just came back in.... it's trapped in another corner. The kids and I are taking turns keeping it away from the girls til my hubby gets here to do the deed.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Possums adore cat food so try to catch it in a hav-a-hart (live) trap with cat food and then you can get him/her out of the coop.

One doesn't often read accounts of possums hurting chickens but apparently it is not unheard of. If you leave cat crunchies out at night for it it will probably opt for those instead of bothering the chickens. Then get the hav-a-hart and load that with cat crunchies inside and just outside by trap entrance (at night, after chickies to bed) and you'll likely catch him/her in the next day or two.

JJ

Just saw the other replies - now that I see the photo and that he/she is more or less cornered, a can or box can be placed over it and then slide something underneath (thin board) , and then the little guy can be transported away from the coop. Alternatively, it is the type of setup where you can just chase him/her out without it getting wedged somewhere inside?

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I got up one morning to 7 dead hens and 3 injured ones from ONE opossum. He was about the size of a raccoon!!!!

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Call Rooster Red! He's a possum catcher extraordinaire. [​IMG]

For me personally, if I couldn't shoo it out of the coop I would just grab one of my critter towels (yes, they have their own set) and a pair of heavy gloves, and I would toss the towel over the possum, wrap him up good and move him. I would not recommend this to anyone a) under 18 years of age; b) afraid of possums; c) in high rabies areas.

Good luck!

8. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Seriously, no need to kill the little guy. If he is tame enough to be kept away by you and the kids, just put a box over him and slide a piece of wood under it, flip it over and youve caught a possum!

I practice what I preach BTW. I have lost two hens to predators, both times my own fault. Since, I have lost none in many many years and we have predators everywhere up against a 100+ acre conservation land. Even have a big hawk that sits in our tree over our coop every morning....
    EDIT TO ADD: But I dont have bears around!!!

...do onto others.......

9. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I got up one morning to 7 dead hens and 3 injured ones from ONE opossum. He was about the size of a raccoon!!!!

She said this guy is little, just relocate and sure up the coop so no one else gets in.​

10. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    No confirmed or recorded cases of possums with rabies. ( I worked with rabies testing in the state for a while). It is stated that all mammals can get it, but do not seem to get it. Not that you shouldnt always always be careful with any mammal with teach, but a stray cat has a better chance of having it.

FYI....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by