Help! Poults need more protein!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Poultator, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Poultator

Poultator Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    I have read that turkey poults need 28% protein, though this MannaPro is only 24%. It is the only game bird feed that I can get around where I live. Should I supplement them and If so, what do you suggest I use?
    *~EDIT~* I just tried to feed egg yolk, both hard boiled and scrambled, they REFUSE to eat it![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have raised many batches of poults on chick starter, they initially grow slower, which I believe helps avoid leg problems. You are suppose to feed the higher protein for 4 weeks before lowering it, I followed the recommended feeding routine in the past but now use chick starter. I haven't seen any problems from a lower protein diet, they grow slower, but they are still rowdy and loud. So feed what you have and don't get over worried.

3. Poultator

Apr 17, 2016
    Thank goodness! They are all a bit sick so I thought they could use the extra protein. After some extensive scouring of the area, I did find some ultrakibble for chicks (which is 28%) and some mealworms and grit that they seem to love. :)

4. hyelaw

hyelaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    Ohio
    For added protein I used mealworms, black soldier fly larvae, and hard boiled eggs. I used a chick feed though, so the protein was even lower than yours. I'm sure they'll be okay. I also put apple cider vinegar in my water and cayenne / garlic in my feed.

5. Poultator

Apr 17, 2016
    Thank you, Hyelaw! I just bought 200 medium mealworms from my local pet store, the poor things seem to be afraid of them! [​IMG]
    I never heard of adding garlic to the feed, but after searching online and reading a couple of good articles, I think that it is a great idea! How much do you add for your poults? Mine are 5 days old as of today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by