1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help-predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickbird, Dec 10, 2010.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Today I Lost The Sweetest Naked Neck...she Was Sitting On 6 Eggs In Our Barn , Off The Ground, And In A Nest That Was Almost Hidden. She Got Off The Nest This A.m. And Ate And Got Back On, I Went Back To The House And After Lunch Went Back Down And Noticed She Was Not On The Nest, No Feathers No Traces Of Her Remains, What Do You Think Took Her? This Was In Broad Daylight. My Husband And I Both Loved Her...she Was So Gentle...any Ideas As To What Got Her?

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Hawk,maybe?

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would guess a hawk, too.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

A fox will grab -n - run with no evidence left behind.

5. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I agree with the grab and run theory, fox,coyotoe, maybe very hungry dog....Any signs of foot prints at all...?

6. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I have lost 4 since this weekend...whatever went into the coop and took one of my broody Buffs off the nest...do not think a hawk would do that...absolutely no sign of struggle, feathers, etc left behind! I have since caught a big cat and a raccoon but am planning on continuing to set a trap each day...feel bad for my chickens being locked up right now but will continue to do so until I feel whatever "it" is has been caught. Never ever had one problem until this past weekend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by