HELP! prematurely smashed egg with broken membrane is there any hope??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by meredithp, Oct 27, 2014.

1. meredithp

meredithp New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Chester County, PA
    Hi, I have a broody sitting on a clutch of 7 eggs. Today, I noticed that one whole side of one of the eggs was smashed pretty badly. The inner membrane was intact, however, so I returned it to the broody's nest. After about an hour I went to check on the egg and the broody had yolk on her beak and had indeed broken the membrane. There is a lot of blood but I can see the little chick breathing and I want to know if there is any chance at all of saving the poor thing. I think that today is day 16/17. Right now I have it under a lamp on top of a moist paper towel. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    There's always hope but at this stage of development it's going to be hard to help it. Keep it warm and moist and hope for the best. If you have any anti-bacterial wipes it would be a mostly sterile cloth to lay it on and it would add a little moisture. make sure that it doesn't get too hot under the lamp. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. meredithp

meredithp New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Chester County, PA
    So the poor baby passed away last night. Time for me to invest in an incubator. I think she would have survived had I had a better way to keep her warm and humid. Lesson learned. Thanks for your encouragement @red horse ranch

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've had smashed eggs survive to hatch before but the membrane wasn't broken. Although anything's possible, I think it would have been a miracle for your baby to survive. An incubator might have helped but the chick's chances were very poor once the membrane was broken. There may have been damage to it's support system, or to the chick itself, in addition to the membrane being broken.
    You tried your best to save it and that's all any of us can do. [​IMG]

5. CassandrazoeS

CassandrazoeS New Egg

Jul 22, 2017
    I just came across this thread as i have had a similar problem.

I have 4 hens sitting on a big communal clutch all at different development stages. Checked this AM on the eggs and one had a fairly decent size hole with a broken membrane. I was gonna ditch it but the baby was still alive so, i've experimented.

I got an old piece of eggshell from a dud egg, put it over the hole and then i paper mached it to the broken egg. Using tissue and flour and water for the glue.

I dont know if the baby will come to term or live at all but it's all i can do as i couldnt use candle wax or nail polish cause it's a big old hole. Ill keep you updated. Any other advice is appreciated

6. CassandrazoeS

CassandrazoeS New Egg

Jul 22, 2017
    IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3222.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by