1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Prevent Frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stewarts, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Aside from using Poultry Comb & Wattle Winter Protection and I will see if the Feedstore I get feed from has something to protect their feet and legs ...

This is what I want to avoid this winter:

[​IMG]
    Frostbitten crown, then it turns black and you have to cut it off.

[​IMG]
    Frostbitten feet.
    How do they walk on these? It has to HURT big time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Frostbitten crown.

[​IMG]

Why would anyone let their birds out to wander in cold and freezing winter conditions? Crows and other wild birds have feet and legs that can withstand the cold because the Lord created them that way and they don't have delicate crowns and wattles that are susceptible to freezing.
    Do these birds look like they want to be outside???​

Another alternative - is to use some Fashion Sense and go Stylish this Winter -

[​IMG]
    Ain't she CUTE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How 'bout these little ladies...
    Or​
    Maybe a nice pair of leg warmers and socks to go with the hats and scarves. What do you think?

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have seen things like this on grist.com, but I do not know anybody who knits them!

3. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Maybe you don't have to actually 'knit' them! I'm thinking any piece of material that can be sewn to keep it on there crowns and wattles can be used.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Or add some heat to your coop. My coop is heated,it is extremely cold where i live,without heat i can guarantee my birds would be dead.

5. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    I live on Prince Edward Island, Canada and it can get mighty cold here. This is the first winter we've had birds so we built an insulated coup with that in mind and I constantly have a light on in there throughout the day. Its gotten cold enough for the water on the floor of the coup to freeze lightly but the birds themselves are so heavy with down feathers they keep pretty warm on their own. If we get some extremely cold weather or a cold snap, I will be putting a heat lamp in the coup and no more outings in the hutch.

6. chickens usa

chickens usa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Has anyone tried carpet or towels on the roost to see if it would help prevent frostbite on the chickens feet?

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Hmmmmmmm.....what do I think? First I suggest that you obtain breeds that are suited to your climate. Second, I don't think the Lord meant for chickens to have additional apparel or He would have provided it for them. Third, I think your flock management is suffering right along with your chickens if you cannot keep these issues from happening without dressing up your chickens.

I live where it gets cold in the winter also and nothing beyond the frosting such as seen in the very top pic has happened to any of my flocks for the past 37 yrs~which corrects itself in short order, so no knitted apparel needed if you just take the time to manage your flock.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    The last shot, in your post, of the roo outfitted with the baby sock on his comb, is not effective. I know, the wife took the shot as I held the (nonplussed) roo. It was done for a bit of humor and the roo promptly removed the chapeau with the sweep of a claw.

Pretty much this.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Bayrider16

Bayrider16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    I've actually heard that free ranging your birds helps it. The moisture that's inside your coop clings to your chickens combs and waddles. Thats what causes frostbite. If they get outside, the air is drier. They can also find a nice sunny spot to sun in. Chickens have actually been around for thousands of years and certain breeds are well adapted to the cold. (Breeds with rose combs never get frostbite) Relatives to the chicken have been around prehistoric times. If your chickens are suffering severe frostbite, give them a heat lamp, and they will never get frostbite.

10. Bayrider16

Bayrider16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, special knitted hats do not help. Its just as effective as wearing gloves out in the freezing weather 24/7... your fingers will get frostbite eventually. And chickens will get the hat off, it wonts stay on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by