HELP! Prob with newly hatch keet..Did I mess up? What to do now? pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fyrwmn, Jun 27, 2008.

1. fyrwmn

fyrwmn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    CT
    I recently posted a question regarding my first attempt at hatching guinea eggs. This site has been a wealth of information.. I have been studying it and reading post after post for two days straight. I read with interest the discussion as to whether or not to "assist" with a hatching. Now I wish I had completed my readings before I intervened.

Here is my situation. I had 6 keets hatch over two days without incident. All are fluffy, healthy, active and eating and drinking.

The 7th egg pipped overnight. This morning it was cracked open, about half way.. and stayed that way. My DH called me at work saying that the keet appeared "stuck". I got home around 1 pm. I did seem stuck. I increased the humidity in the bator ( from 60 to 80%) and started reading. I decided to try to help it out. I carefully chipped away a small piece of shell and put it back. I did this several times,over several hours being careful not to pull anything away from the keet. I only chipped off the outer shell, leaving the inner membrane for the keet to remove by itself. Finnally the keet was free from the shell.

But I noticed one of the legs seemed to be "deformed" . I noticed what looked like a little yoke sack attached to its back leg. I tried to see if it would move.. and it did. I was able to free his leg, thinking that was causing the limp. Now he's jumping around the incubator, still damp, but the one foot is curled and there is a noticable lump on his back end. I tried to get a picture and will try to post here.

I am feeling really bad.. I think I should have headed the advice of "if it can't get out on its own, something is wrong..."

Can anyone help me out? Anyoen have any ideas? Thanks:([​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. fyrwmn

fyrwmn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    CT
    Here is a photo

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by