HELP! problem with neighbor

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Sueren, May 2, 2019.

1. Sueren

Sueren Chirping

Oct 4, 2011
    My neighbor's chickens keep coming in my yard. I like chickens and had hens for many years, thus why I'm a member of this site, but my hens had a 30' x 40' run attached to their coop and were not allowed to roam freely. I wouldn't care about his chickens coming over EXCEPT he has traps set 24/7 by a wildlife control person to catch raccoons, foxes, possums, skunks, etc which are then killed. I love wildlife, which is one reason I've lived here in the country for 30 years. Yesterday he caught and killed a fox (I can't get the screams of that poor baby out of my head) and I am UPSET & FURIOUS; plus it is spring and it was probably a mother fox that has kits. To me this neighbor is irresponsible for not keeping his chickens fenced in & safe but sadly he is legally allowed to kill all the wildlife in the area - and yes I did call the game warden. I am seriously to the point of contemplating shooting his chickens when they come on property. The game warden couldn't tell me if THAT was legal. My husband tried talking to the guy a year ago about putting up a fence instead of killing the wildlife and even offered him 50' of good chain link fence for free...the jerk won't do it. Do other chicken owners have any advice that would help this distressing situation?

One additional tidbit, this neighbor has threatened to shoot another neighbor's dogs for coming on his property and killing a chicken.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    Move. Been there, done that.

Sequel likes this.
  3. Al Capon

Al Capon Songster

Dec 12, 2017
    Central OK
    Pretty sure shooting someone's livestock will not get you the results you seek.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If he is within his legal rights to trap and/or kill wild animals on his property, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about that.

You should find out what his (and your) legal rights are in regards to your chickens. For example, where I live the law states that they must be fully fenced and the fence must be set back 3 feet from the property line.

Do you live in a fence out state or a fence in state. For example, Colorado is a fence out state. If I do not want a neighbor's livestock on my property (cattle, sheep, etc.) it is my legal responsibility to construct a fence to keep them off my property, the livestock owner is not required to fence their cattle in. (sorry I contradicted my previous bit, but I'm in town limits so I do have extra rules about fencing chickens etc.)

It's best if you work within whatever legislation exists, but you have to learn exactly what that is first.

5. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    Does your city ordinance allow his chickens to trespass on your property? I doubt it. I would find the right place to call and report his chickens as a nuisance on your property. Call every single time his chickens are on your property.
    I think it is terrible to kill wildlife because someone cant or wont do the right thing to keep their animals safe.
    If no official agency can do anything, maybe catch the chickens and rehome them.
    Good luck. So sorry about what you had to hear with the fox. I wouldn't be able to handle it either and might actually end up in jail if it were me.

janiedoe, Egghead_Jr and Sueren like this.
  6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Long story short, it might be your legal responsibility to make a fence to keep them off your property and not his to make a fence to keep them in.

janiedoe likes this.
  7. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Also if the chickens are legally not permitted to roam at large and be on your property, snap a few photos of them when they come visit, it will strengthen your case.

8. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    If an animal is on your property causing damage, the owner has been notified and isn't containing his "livestock", I believe you can call animal control to have them removed from your property. Then your neighbor can start dealing with the county. While killing wildlife might not be illegal, causing your neighbor distress could be a civil liberties issue that could be addressed by the judicial system. Good luck.

ChooksNQuilts, Sueren and Tortoise like this.
  9. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    i think this is great advice. and i agree with PirateGirl.
    You might be better off fencing in your property if its not required for him to fence his in. I understand the killing of local native wildlife deeply upsets you, but like others have said, if it is within his legal rights to do so, there isnt a good solution that i can think of, for you, to get him to stop. Especially if he is unresponsive to you talking to him and your pleading. Sorry, seems like a very tough position here :( :(

janiedoe and rosemarythyme like this.
  10. Sueren

Sueren Chirping

Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: