HELP! problems standing on right leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by minksroost, Dec 27, 2012.

1. minksroost

minksroost Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    HELP! One of our chickens approx 21 wks is having problems walking. Right leg seems to give out from under him. Noticed a little irritation inbetween toes so put neosporin on it. Put her in a crate in the coop to keep him calm. He will still get up and the leg seems to go out from under him. Is this all coming from a little sore spot inbetween toes or is this a bigger issue? What should I do. New to chickens and looking for any advice I can get. thanks!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    What are you feeding them? is it possible that there is a diet difficiency? If you are feeding them regular chicken food that probably isnt the issue. However, you could still try giving them some additional poultry vitamins?
    Does the leg appear swollen at all? Is she eating and drinking normally?

3. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    We are feeding layer crumbles. Scatch for outside area. Sunflower hearts. Harvest Delight as a treat mixed with scratch. I'm probably a little over board on making sure they are getting enough nutrition but again I"m new to chickens - am I missing something? There is still grass in their run so they have that as well. I have fed them oatmeal in the morning when it's cold. I put her in a crate now in the coop to keep her from walking around on the leg. Again there is that sore spot inbetween her toes that I put neosporin on. Should have left out the pine chips in the crate as I noticed that immediately got stuck to the ointment. It looks a little swollen just above her toes but very little. When his leg "buckles' for the lack of a better word it looks like the top of his thigh. That is what has me concerned. Just wondering is that is normal when there foot is hurt. I felt both her legs and felt no swelling at all. Last night I also noticed that he was reluctant to fly up to the top roost. He kept looking while standing on the middle one but wouldn't fly up. I picked him up finally and put him on the top where he wanted to be. Eating and drinking normally. However, sits down a lot because of his leg hurting. He did eat his mash/crumbles when I put him in the crate. Do you think I should go and get antibiotics to put in his water or vitamins?

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I had this happen to one of mine...Possibly its the same with yours.Pulled out of joint.

I think mine got her leg caught in something when i was moving the tractor coop/run.
    ..Anyway it collasped on her when she took steps and was twisted way around at an unnatural angle
    i thought broken but some articles said they easliy pull the leg out of socket sometime.s Just keep her calm as you are doing food and water very close and it may get better in a few day on its own .Mine has been about 2 weeks now and shes perfect She sat by herself in the coop to let it rest most of the time and it worked. Good luck!

5. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    It sounds like you know what your doing with the diet. Most likely she has a slight sprain. I would watch and see if it gets better on its own. The fact she didnt want to jump up to roost would also point towards it being a sprain or injury. The spot between the toes-there isnt a splinter or anything there?
    As long as the others aren't picking on her you could just let her be and rest-see if it improves or gets worse. I have had a couple hens limp for a few days and it goes away(roosters getting a little rough). Do you have a rooster in with the girls that may be getting to rambunctious?

6. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    You bring up an interesting point. We rescued an Ameraucana hen from the parking lot of a Sheetz gas station. totally weird. This prompted the building of a chicken coop. When finished we got two more. We didn't know what they were as we got from a friend that had a boorder Mom that wouldn't let her get two eggs. So here they are 21 weeks later, one Red, one white. We hoped for both hens but the Red is a rooster. The white just started crowing if you want to call it that. Nothing like the Red. I have seen the Red jump on my Ameraucana. He isn't too rough although I would prefer he not do this at all as I didn't want roosters for this reason. My husband thinks the white is a rooster as well. But the two don't fight at all. And only the Red goes after our Ameraucana. I have watched closing for any pecking and other than him mounting Opal (Ameraucana) I don't see any fighting. We only have the 3 right now. Wanted to wait until spring before getting more.

I would love tips on what to do if the white is a rooster. Two roosters and 1 hen doesn't sound like a good mix. It's also the white one (Pip) that is injured.

So you think keeping him in the crate inside the coop is the best idea for a few days and just keep an eye on him? Do you think the pine chips in the crate is a bad idea. Will he be warm enough at night without sitting next to the others?

I had no idea I was going to become so attached to these chickens. I love them. My husband says I"m a bit overboard on worrying but thats just my nature. As long as nobody things this warrants antibiotics or going to the vet then I'm good with keeping him quite for a few days.

7. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Chickens have a way of growing on you LOL and seem to miraculously mutiple when your not looking-funny how that happens!
    2 roosters with one hen would really wear her out-poor thing. That is most likely the problem with her leg/hip.
    I have 2 roos with 16 full size hens and all the mounting wears them out. The roos can get pretty rough. If you do have 2 roos and you seperate them, you MAY end up with problems when you reintroduce them back together again.
    As hard as it is-if you truely have 2 roosters-you should try to re home one of them. And if you can- add a couple more hens to give your girl a break.

8. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    It's the white one with a hurt leg. The ameraucana is the hen. I've been told by my friend who gave me the two chicks that the white is a hen. She said she has a hen or two that will crow.. it's a pathetic crow mind you but regardless they "attempt" to crow for some reason. I've only heard of this if you don't have a rooster. Thanks so much for all the info. Greatly appreciated. she/he is not happy about being crated thats for sure.

I'm sort of getting scared now because I've been reading other articles on Marek's Disease. Then read something about a Hock Cushion... I over analyze things I know. So right now I've got him in a crate in the coop. He still walks around in there and the right leg will just give out from under him. We do have high roosts. Stairstepped though. I think tomorrow we will move them together and down some. They do like to be high though. Maybe he flew down one morning and twisted his leg or something. But it must hurt him and that is what is bothering me. I'm just so frustrated.

9. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Keep me posted how he/she is doing today? Good luck!

10. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    still limping this morning. However I am noticing some swelling in his right foot now. Yesterday when he was standing I also noticed that his knee joint was turning inward (toward his other leg). I read something yesterday about a "hock cushion". wondering if that leg doesn't need to be immobilized? No change in that this morning, leg still giving out but again noticed the swelling. I'm thinking I should go to tractor supply or other and get some antibiotics for his water. Do you think this would help? And does anyone have any ideas on the leg? Has anyone seen this inward buckle of the knee - what the cause is or treatment. Depending on replies today if someone has had the same issue I might take him to the vet tomorrow. But then again wondering if I should give the antibiotics a few days before taking him... just looking for any suggestions. thanks so much in advance for all your inputs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by