Help ... prolapse? Blocked Vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by familyguy, Dec 26, 2012.

1. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    I noticed a couple of weeks ago that one of my Buff Orffingtons had a dirty butt area ... instead of the fluffy downy type you normally see. Last night she would not go back in the coop and when I picked her up I noticed something kinda strange around the vent area. There was alot of poop stuff on the feathers and something coming out of the vent. I took a pic but it is not all that clear. There is a small finger size something that seems to be coming out of the vent. I kept her inside last night and was able to clear off somemore of the frozen poop this morning but I am unsure what to do now. She seems active and alert - she eats and drinks. If anyone has any suggestions of what I am dealing with here I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Maybe a small prolapse. Try putting Preparation H on it.

3. keita

keita Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Matthews, NC
    I have EXACTLY the same problem........ looking for a solution. She also has very waterey poop.

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    As Willow said, try putting Prep. H. my NHR had a huge prolapsed oviduct (her egg track was hanging out) and after cleaning it & putting Prep. H on it, it went away.

5. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    I'm sure you can find more on the subject via google as well or searching this site. But here's my tale.

I have a plymoth rock ( i think it was that one) with a full on oviduct prolaps, waste would just run down it's back side all the time.

I bult a small single bird coop and kept it in my basement ( next time i'll put it outside, too much dust) . I soaked her in a warm bath ( utility sink) and washed away the mess. then trimmed the feathers around the back end extra short. another quick bath and them dried her off. applyed standard Honey ( farmers handbook recomended) to the prolaps and gently pushed it back in. then left her for the day in teh emergency room coop.

she continued to lay eggs and every day the prolaps would pop back out, over the course of two weeks i applied honey ever day and bathed her every few days.

Over the 2 weeks it would pop out less frequent, eventually it stayed in.

it's been a year and no re occurence.

all items used were purchased just for the chickens. Scissors, honey, vinyle gloves, ER coop, and always wear the gloves while handling the chickens for a prolaps.

that's my $0.02

6. keita

keita Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Matthews, NC
    I appreciate your respnse but am comfused about the 'feather' coming out of the vent.........that's not normal , is it?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No, it's not normal to have one there unless she ate it and it's coming out like grass does. FWIW, I have one with a deformed back end and I have had to pull feathers out of her vent, but they aren't ones that she ate.

8. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Is it possible the feather just got stuck in the poop?

9. keita

keita Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Matthews, NC
    No...it's attached as far as I can tell.......the other posted pictures show the same thing!

10. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    I say soak the back end in warm water and pluck the feathers. keep her clean and then see if they grow back. if they do, then it's a birth defect with a feather programed to grow there. if you heal the prolaps and no feather grows back then all is normal. imho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by