HELP PROLAPSED HEN ALSO EGG BOUND

Bear and Dart

Songster
Feb 15, 2020
Our chicken is about 8 months old, she is a Easter Egger and Cuckoo Maran mix. She has been prolapsed for about 2 days and we've been putting it back in. I'm only a teenager and my parents aren't home and won't be for awhile and she is trying to push an egg out and can"t. What should I do to help her?

These are some images

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi @Bear and Dart Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry no one has replied. How is your hen?

When are your parents coming back home - is seeing a vet an option?

The prolapse is quite large with the egg pushing out. Can you see the opening and try to help push/pull the egg out without pulling the exposed tissue further out?
Try to keep the exposed tissue moist with an ointment, oil or honey - just something to keep it from drying out (Preparation H , coconut oil, honey, vaseline, etc.)

Let us know how she is.
I also recommend that you watch this video, you may find it helpful.

I was able to get the egg out earlier today and my mom came home. However she didn’t want to pay for a chicken to go to the vet. She’s not doing well though and my mom didn’t think she’ll live. I don’t want to lose her she means so much to me, but I think we might need to cull her so she won’t suffer anymore.

Chickens can be extremely resilient. I haven't had this problem, and couldn't find an article on it, but there are several success stories in these forums including this one. It can take several days of re-positioning it, using lube to keep it from drying out.
Meanwhile, try to figure out if there is an underlying cause, like calcium deficiency. Good luck with your hen.:fl I'm so glad you helped her with the egg.:hugs

There is another part sticking out apart from the cloaca now and it’s a lot worse. She is also wheezing and it looks as if she is trying to push out and egg, she already had the previous egg and although she is young and 2 could be possible I can’t feel one. Lastly whenever I put it back inside her it just pops right back out, even after holding her upside-down for 10 minutes.

If she is still prolapsed, just keep lubricating the red tissue as long as it is outside the body. Once a day soak her in warm soapy water and dry her off, to keep the vent area clean. Then lube her with coconut oil, hydrocortisone cream, vegetable oil, or oil of choice. Keep her separated in a dog crate because the others will peck at the prolapse. They usually will stay in after a few days. Rarely, the prolapse can worsen, and she might need to be put down. Good luck.

I think it may be the intestine I’m not sure tho

if it isis there any special way to put it in or same as just the cloaca? I’ll also probably need to give her a bath again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom