HELP!!! Pullet hit by car

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elieugene6, Sep 13, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Ok so while free ranging my roo decided to take a trip across the road. My son promptly informed me of this so I rushed outside. Was calmly walking to the road so they didn't just come running in case there was a car coming. Well the people that live across and diagonally from us had friends over and as I was walking to the road they came roaring down with their 4wheeler and chased the chickens into the road right into the path of an oncoming car. Who despite the fact that they could have slowed down just honked the horn. Didn't even move over into the other lane just ran down my poor chickens. Thank god only one got clipped it could have been 5 of them. Anyways after they scattered into the woods. So over I went to hunt them down. The roo came out with one hen and I saw the tan/white feathers on the ground so was preparing to go into the brush when she hobbled out, thankfully because my roo wouldn't go home w/o her. Kept standing in the road. Dum dum. So I finally coaxed her across the road she just did not want to go back in it. Then the other two came running out and came back across. So then it took me another 1/2 hr to catch her as she is one of the least tame of my chickens, finally had to resort to the net. Checked her out and there was no blood just a few feathers out of place. Felt her leg as best I could it didn't seem to hurt her when I touched it and I didn't feel any broken bones. I put her in a seperate cage w/food and water. She was in it for a little over 24hrs. Eating and drinking normally her poop looks normal as well. Just has a limp. She was going nuts this afternoon and didn't lay her normal egg this a.m. so I finally let her out. She hobbled outside as fast as she could took a couple bites of grass and hobbled back in and flew into the nest. So the egg is a lot bigger than normal I am talking almost double the normal size.

Ok so questions are: Should I let her free range with them? They have been sticking right around the house and its surrounded by trees so overhead predators are almost nil. The dog keeps everything else away during the day. She is keeping up ok. Is it possible that she was holding the egg because she didn't have access to the nest? Or could this be from getting hit? She lays every morning like clockwork never later than 10am and it was almost 5 today. Should I put her back in the cage even though she becomes extremely stressed out?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It sounds like she wasn't severely hurt. It also sounds that she is a lot less stressed out by being with the flock, than in a cage in the house. I would work at figuring away to keep them from getting on to the road. It is clear that other people will not care if they run over your birds.

3. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I would love to just fence it all in but that isn't practical with 100+ acres between my dads house and mine you would think that there would be enough for 17 chickens to amuse themselves with. I am currently working on training to stay away. In other words scaring the heck out of them and chasing away from the road with water. It is doing ok. Definitely something that will take time. I don't get it, my dads three chickens have absolutely no interest in the road. Maybe wisdom comes with age as his are getting on in that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by