HELP! Pullet "not feeling well"!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbcmama, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mbcmama

mbcmama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    my black australops are about 10-11 weeks old now and one is acting like she doesn't feel well. she is sleepy, with her head kind of hunched in (like not stretching her neck out) and her feather seem "fluffier" than usual. she was sleeping outside standing up away from the others (we have 4 all together). when i picked her up, her feet were freezing! i live near houston and it's 50* out right now, but the low last night was in the 30's. we didn't put a lamp out last night because i've been reading they can withstand pretty cold temps, even though for us, 30's is freezing and
    "bad winter weather"! LOL!

anyway, she will fall asleep when i hold her, so i brought her in and put her in a box with some bedding and water. she is laying down asleep right now. she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. she hasn't poo'd yet in the box, so i don't know if her droppings are ok. i've been reading up on here about impacted crops. she hasn't tried to eat and was not scratching around eating like the rest of them when she was outside, so i am wondering if that's what it is. when i feel her crop (really, i don't know what i'm doing here...) all i feel on her chest is feathers and bone i guess. it doesn't feel like a water balloon or a ball.

she will perk up and peep at us when we talk to her, but other than that, she's just sitting there. any ideas??? oh, her feet are nice and warm now being inside!

2. mbcmama

Nov 29, 2012
    ok UPDATE

hubby just got home and wanted to see what she would do if we took her outside. so we sat her in the grass away from the coop and she just stood there peeping. we carried her over to the coop and she kept trying to get in with the other girlies.

she did poop on me though! LOL! it was yellowish and not runny, but not solid. good or bad? it also stuck to her feathers, maybe because i was holding her up against me?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If I had to guess, I would say coccidiosis. What does her poop smell like? Can you post any pictures of it? In the meantime, I would keep her inside where it's nice and warm.

4. mbcmama

Nov 29, 2012
    ok, now i know i'm a good chicky mommy! here's a photo of what got on my shirt (well, a little bit. it really wasn't much) it's very yellow and sticky. now that it's dry, it's kinda like buggars. it has no smell. [​IMG] do i need to give her a bath? some is stuck to her feathers.
    [​IMG]

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If all of her poop looks like that, I would say that it's definitely coccidiosis. The best treatment is Corid, which Tractor Supply should have in stock. If she's still drinking, you'll see improvement in a couple of days.

6. mbcmama

Nov 29, 2012
    ok! she's sleeping away in her box right now (even thru the kiddos noisy dinner!) we keep talking to her every few minute and she chirps back. guess i'll run by the feed store in the morning. i was just there before we found her like this outside this afternoon buying a 50lb bag of feed! i've been buying it 5lbs at a time and they are eating like crazy! think she'll be ok overnight? is there anything i need to do for her tonight? thanks for all the help!!!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you set up a heat lamp that she can get close too for extra warmth?

8. mbcmama

Nov 29, 2012
    she made it thru the night in the kitchen where it is nice and warm. she doesn't appear to have eaten or drank anything all night. i did give her some water this morning with a dropper. how do i know if she's swallowing it? i also mashed up some feed with water and tried that with the dropper too. her bottom is gunked up and i will probably give her a bath as soon as the kiddos are off to school. her poop is not very runny and is mostly brown with a yellow slimy streak in it. she's made about 3 piles in the box. one is all brown. i did not see any blood in it. she is just laying there sleeping. she does peep at you and open her eyes when you talk to her. not sure what to do from here!

it is supposed to storm again today and tomorrow. i was going to clean out the bedding from the coop. i don't know how i'm going to do that without the new bedding getting soaked!

9. mbcmama

Nov 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

Here is her latest poop. after a bath. she is now standing sleeping. i am trying to give her water with a dropper, but she does not like it. she keeps wiping her beak off in the bedding. not sure how i'd even get meds in her at this point??? anyone???

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is there any chance you could take her to a vet? They could show you how to tube feed and give subcutaneous fluids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by