Help! Pullet Shut automatic chicken door seriously wounds a hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by natemoore1986, Feb 12, 2016.

1. natemoore1986

natemoore1986 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    The days are getting longer so apparently I need to reset the closing time more often. One of my hens got her neck caught in the chicken door and the skin is ripped on the back of her neck. Happened last night. The wound is about an inch wide. I can see the skin moving above the neck muscles underneath. Not sure what to do with her. If I had some anesthesia, I'd do a few stitches at the kitchen table using a circle needle and some mono-filament fishing line.

I ordered a photo sensor so that I can set it to shut an hour after sunset without having to constantly reset the closing time.

Anyway, here's the wound. That's her neck muscles you're looking at. I did cover it liberally with antibiotic ointment. What should I do in lieu of a $150 vet bill?

[​IMG]

2. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Clean it with an Epsom salt mixture and if the wound isn't too deep you can put some blu cote on it. Keep her seperate do from the others. If your chickens free range, cover the wound to prevent pecking and let her out every day. My hen recently got attacked by my dog and lost her tail feathers and some skin. We cleaned the wound an put blu cote on it. We completely separated them for one day and let them all out supervised the next day. She is now out free ranging with them again. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    OMG, how's your hen doing? did she recover? I just ordered a Pullet-shut since I'm going away for a week for a work trip and wanted something secure for my girls. this gives me serious pause though!

4. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Wow...that's a bad wound. I'm not great at injuries but I wish you the best of luck! Do what huntingirl said about the salt...keep her warm and dry...all the basics.
    :fl - Sunny

5. natemoore1986

natemoore1986 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    She healed very well after my daughter and I stitched her neck (with an upholstery needle and nylon thread). The day after I put her back in with the others, I found her sitting in a nesting box with the back of her neck ripped open again! In fact, there was skin missing, and I wasn't able to pull the skin together to suture it again. I had to put her down.

Then I witnessed my rooster flogging the other hen I reintroduced after allowing her pecked vent to heal. He was trying to kill her! I surmised that the second wound to the hen's neck wasn't caused by the automatic door, but by the rooster. I think he attacked her and ripped the skin off her neck with his beak.

I have separated the little velociraptor from the hens. I haven't killed him yet because he is a handsome rooster.

As far as the Pullet-Shut door goes, I have the photo-sensor installed, and it is set to close the door 30 minutes after sunset (really the end of nautical twilight). It will shut when it is completely dark, and by that time the chickens will certainly be at roost. No issues since getting the photo-sensor and removing the rooster.

6. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    thanks @natemoore1986 so sorry to hear about you having to put her down after all of that! I did get the photosensor with my door and hopefully will have no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by