HELP--Pullet's Eye Swollen Shut & Nasal Discharge :/ (PIC)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicnchsr, May 1, 2011.

1. chicnchsr

chicnchsr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    I got a new dark brahma pullet yesterday (plus 5 others that are fine)--she is supposed to be about 3 months old. Yesterday her eye looked perfectly normal. This morning when I went outside to check on her, I noticed her eye was swollen shut and she seemed a little tired. She also has nasal discharge, but only on the side of the swollen eye. She isn't nearly as active as all the other chickens (they are all the same age and size as her). She is eating and drinking, but not quite as much as the others. I'm worried about her. This is my first time to have chickens and I've never had a sick one before. I'm not sure if one of the other chickens pecked her, or if it is an infection. Or if it is something else entirely different. Help! What should I do--I've read that sometimes it heals itself, but other times antibiotics are needed. What should I do?? I don't want her to loose vision in that eye, or worse die!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Looks like an infection of some kind. I'm new to chickens also and haven't had any problems so I'm not really an expert but I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.

3. OHmamma

OHmamma The Culling Queen

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohio
    SO many sinus and respiratory disease in chickens.......Infectious Coryza, Infectiuous sinusitis, Chronic Respiratory disease....that looks to me like Infectious coryza which can cause facial swelling.

If you can't get diagnosed by a vet cheaply try some Duramyacin it is in a yellow foil bag and your feed store. It is a general purpose broadspectrum anitbiotic or you can get tetracycline. Sulmet is good but is sometimes hard to find, it is a sulfanimide and should not be used in chickens that are laying or at least the eggs should not be used.

For the more holistic approach...From MSU......http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

ASTRINGENT SOLUTION

This solution can be used to treat young birds that show non-typical disease symptoms of poor growth. The solution can also be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate. This solution will help "cut through" the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.

Two quarts of apple cider vinegar diluted into 100 gallons of water
    (4 teaspoons/gallon)

The tannin in the apple cider vinegar aide in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed. Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals.

They are all inexpensive and you should treat every one according to the package directions. You should only mix what you will use in one day so for ten young chickens don't mix more than one gallon of drinking solution or you will have a lot of waste.

Good luck!!

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. chicnchsr

chicnchsr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Thank you so much! One more question: are you suggesting I treat all the pullets in the pen with the antibiotic? They will all get the cider water, but wasn't sure about the antibiotic.

5. OHmamma

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, even if they have no symptoms they have been exposed and may develop symptoms. The vinegar is all natural so it won't hurt just to keep them healthy and help them fight off any bacteria they have been exposed to.

I would also clean the pen as often as possible while medicating and then really good after the last day of dosing. If you can spray with a bleach solution to try to kill any left over germs. I know it is nearly impossible sometimes but I find that a garden prayer works great for misting after a good clean out.

Another great tip is to make sure they keep dry feet. Stress from rain and dampness can cause it to resurface as well.

Most of those disease I mentioned lay dormant after exposeure but flare up during times fo stress or if there are other medical issues or parasites. I have heard the cider vinegar also works for internal parasires as well but I would also suggest trying to find some DE (http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html) it is a great preventative for parasites and is also a great calcium supplement.

6. OHmamma

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohio
    I almost forgot. I would isolate the really sick girl and make sure she is getting water down. You may have to drip it in her mouth to be sure I would use a dropper or syringe and just use small squirts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by