Help! Pullets will not come out of the coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maggiegigs, Aug 19, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    My pullets which I obtained a few days ago will not come out of the coop. Obviously they are frightened.
    How long are they frightened for. They love the treats, raisins and tomatoes so far and are eating and drinking. So all is well with that.
    Coop door is open and I have trailed some treats down the ramp. So far, no good. Any advise?

2. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    Leave them alone, they'll find in there own time.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know how long you have had them in the coop. They need to stay in there long enough for it to be home so they will go back in there to roost at night.

That said, chickens hate change. They will come out when they get the courage. I just advise patience. They have been through a scary move to a different place. Let them explore at their pace. Don't worry, they will.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

J.Pryce :

Leave them alone, they'll find in there own time.

They have to adjust to their new surroundings.

If they don't come out in a few more days, boot one out the door. It will squawk, it will scramble but then it will realize it's still alive and the others will follow it out.​

5. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    Quote:They have to adjust to their new surroundings.

If they don't come out in a few more days, boot one out the door. It will squawk, it will scramble but then it will realize it's still alive and the others will follow it out.

My pulletts have been the coop for three weeks and will not go out. There are 26 of them. I've thrown them out and they come right back in and it's driving me nuts. [​IMG] The run is 35 feet by 100 feet and they will not go out there. You would think after three weeks they would want to go outside, but not this brunch. They are 11 weeks old.
    Any advice?

Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by