HELP!!!!! PUNCTURE WOUND ON CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicks are me, Jan 31, 2013.

1. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    I have a six month old chicken (plymouth rock) that has a puncture wound( lower breast) from flying into the water hanger
    I have no idea how bad it is but now she isn't really bleeding, isn't drinking or eating much, and acts likes she is hot.
    She is inside and is clucking and acting mostly normal,but I'm worried about infection and how to care for her

2. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I headed over here because ours got her chest torn open by something so I can check how to best close it. Keep em em warm, medicate them, extra vitamins. Hate coming to the emergency forum. I almost threw up when I looked at her wound... :( Poor babies, hope your recovers soon :)

3. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry about your little chick. I am not a pro by any means, but I have learned from reading lots of posts from people who do know things, that like "thewarriorchild" says, keeping them warm is a must. I think they tend to kindof go into shock when they're injured or sick, and the get cold, and that can cause extra stress on top of stress, also she probably will need the antibiotic to keep from getting infection. I think that Tetracycline/Duramycin is a good antibiotic that can be found at the feed store, although I think that Pennecillin (?spelling) is the general antibiotic for bacterial infections. I would give her the Tetracycline in her water, and keep her in a warm and quiet place to keep down stress, and keep her away from the others so they won't peck her, they tend to want to peck anyone that's injured or sick. Hope she recovers soon.

4. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    Puncture wounds can be a real problem because they are usually small and hard to clean.

If you can, use a tiny syringe without a needle on it, and squirt some normal saline into it to flush it out. Also, you can put an antibiotic on it. I have read on this forum that Neosporin is fine, but there might be better ones. I need to do some research myself on this.

When she is eating poorly, separate her from others and feed wet foods, such as oatmeal, bran cereal, etc. Some boiled egg is good too. Have her regular food available also.

Good luck.

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If you squirt in saline or water with a little Betadine mixed in, maybe it would also help to suck out it out after a little.

Penicillin is indeed good for treating a lot of infections, if she develops one.

If you ever have to treat a more open wound, you can Super-Glue it closed (Instructions at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/517234/medical-treatments-recommended-by-bycers/30#post_8709505) but you don't want to do that with a puncture wound because you don't want to trap germs inside.

I'm sorry for her accident & hope she heals quickly.

6. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I think betadine might be too harsh for deep tissue? Not sure, but even diluted hydrogen peroxide is hard on deep, open wounds, although both are great for cleaning a shallow or old wound that is healing.

Any thoughts anyone? I am new to treating poultry, although I've raised a couple hundred or so.

7. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Betadine should only be used for an initial cleansing if there is a concern of bacteria, such as an animal attack. It damages healing tissue. Saline for daily cleansing is ok, followed up with triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever in it. Good luck, chickens are tough cookies!!

8. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    she is healing up well, thanks for the tips, we didn't bandage her because her wound was covered by her feathers and I've heard bad bacteria loves it when there is no air.
    We kept her inside for a few nights and gave her juicy fruit and now is much better!!![​IMG] We kept her in our dogs nice, indoor crate and she seemed fine with it ( our dog has two crates: one for inside and one for outside ). Thanks again!

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Betadine is okay for deep wounds as long as it's diluted sufficiently with water. It shouldn't be used full-strength on deep wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by