Help! Puppy got bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beccaboo254, Jul 30, 2014.

1. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    So my 12 week old puppy apparently got the door open to the run when I didn't lock it (which is my fault). She had my bantam Cochin pinned down when I got out there. Luckily (I hope) she's acting ok but she now has what looks like a small tear at her vent and something that looks like a prolapse would. I cleaned it with warm water and hydrogen peroxide and she's in her own pen now. I'll try to get a pic when I go out to put Preparation H on it in a few. Is there anything else I can do???

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    I almost wonder if she didn't prolapse, the dog could smell it, and went in after her because it doesn't look like a wound to me, just a prolapse. But I can't get it to stay back in. And the Prep H just slides around on it.

4. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do you have any honey in the house? If so...apply to her vent area...it is soothing, will shrink the prolapse and has antibacterial properties..do try to push the prolapse back into her after applying the honey...hold her vent area for a few minutes after inserting the prolapse back in...may take several attempts..patience is the key word here...ensure she is isolated from the main flock in a darkened area...good luck!

5. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    We tried twice to get it back in, with ky, not honey. But now it's bleeding. Pretty bad. It seems like we made it worse. :-(

6. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    OK..do you have any iodine/betadine in the house? If so, try giving her a warm bath with a diluted solution of this...dry her and apply some honey to her vent area...you need to minimise the risk of infection. Is she bleeding a lot ?

7. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    It's a bloody mess now. I'm honestly scared to mess with it again because it just gets worse and catching her in her little pen stresses her out. She's one of our little flock of three though so I hate to lose her but if will it just get worse next time she tries to lay?

8. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    Like I'm not sure where the blood is coming from but when I hold her, her heart seems to race and it's worse.

9. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    No..not necessarily...a prolapsed vent is not always going to repeat itself..how old is your chicken?

You need to do something to help her now...even if you only apply honey and leave her in a darkened area to rest...you can always try to realign her vent later...she will be stressed with all of the attention at the moment and maybe needs to rest ( as will you too...this is a difficult problem to deal with )

10. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chirping

Sep 12, 2013
    It looks like there a lot of blood on her rump feathers but it's not still actively bleeding. I poured raw honey all over it. Then tomorrow morning I'll try an iodine bath to clean her up and more honey. She's acting ok still. And she's got clean straw and a cat carrier in her pen. I hope the honey helps. Can it go back in on it own with the honey?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: