help!put eggs in.cant get temp or humidity right again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    the humidity keeps going up.i cant get the temp high enough again either. Im losing my mind!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    What type incubator?..Did you just set the eggs?..it takes hours for the temps and humidity to come back to normal...if your humidity is too high you need to take out some water....

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    well crap. yeah i just set them. i keep taking water out but the humidity keeps going up. it was at like 70% and 95 degrees.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you just set the eggs, it is natural for the temp to decrease and humidity increase until the eggs come up to incubation temperature. As long as you already had the incubator set up properly before setting the eggs, I wouldn't touch it for several hours to give it time to adjust itself again and warm up those eggs. Hang in there..it's not a catastrophe but if you made changes I would watch it closely to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Good luck.

Jody

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    okay. in the past 15 min since i dried up more water the humidity went up from 73 to 78%. the more water i dry up the higher it goes. i dont know how thats possible. The little giant is not for those people who already have to take nerve pills everyday.in the time it took me to write this it went up to 79

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We were posting at the same time..read my previous post. You're ok..leave it closed and watch.

Jody

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I swear I'll leave it shut. is it gonna be this bad every time i hand turn them?

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When you hand turn it will take awhile for the temps and humidity to come back up but not like when you first set the eggs in...

9. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    okay thanks guys. I'm just so scared I'm going to accidentally hurt my babies. I am going to go down the road to the gas station and right back so i wont be tempted to mess with it til it has a chance to regulate itself for longer than 5 minutes.

10. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Again, I am not crazy about the LG bator. However, I do have one and I am running it now. Yes, it will change temp and humidity when you open it or candle eggs, etc. Don't worry about it. Just put the eggs back in, close it up, and watch that the temp don't spike. It should take about 30 to 45 minutes to get regulated. Check it and see if it is at the correct temperature. If you just put the eggs in the bator you should only have the first water tray filled up anyway. I have a hard time getting the temp to 101-102 in the LG. So if it stays at 100 I'm happy. I just hatched a clutch of silkie babies 3 days ago and they are healthy and going strong in the brooder. Now I"m waiting on my leghorn x barred rock babies due to hatch yesterday but hoping they come today. For some reason, in the LG bator my eggs are always a day or two late. Who knows? I like my hovabator better. It costs me the same price. I do not have turners in either. I do it by hand. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by